California State Bariatric Surgery Report

Eggface
on 10/28/11 12:45 am, edited 10/28/11 12:46 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Just wanted to give my fellow Cali pals a heads up on this http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/HID/Products/Health_Facts/HealthFact s_Bariatric_Web.pdf report re: the quality & safety of bariatric surgery in our state. It was an interesting read.

Hope everyone is well!
~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

larra
on 10/28/11 1:06 am - bay area, CA
As is often the case in these overviews, they got at least a couple important things wrong. First, instead of the DS, also known as BPD-DS, they describe the old and no longer performed BPD. It was replaced by the DS because of the problems with nutrition and diarrhea. The DS is far safer while still attaining excellent longterm results. 
    Also, the describe the VSG as an "open" procedure, when in reality it is almost always done lap. Big difference for the patient! How they could get something so simple wrong I don't know. Even the full DS is usually done lap, let alone the VSG by itself.
     I didn't read the whole thing, there may be more glarring errors in there as well. But please don't misunderstand, I do appreciate your posting this. It tells us what people who just read overviews are learning, and it ain't pretty.

Larra
Eggface
on 10/28/11 3:25 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Hey Larra,

If you spotted an error in the document maybe email the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development. www.oshpd.ca.gov

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active