Options through Kaiser Baldwin Park

britneyb16
on 2/5/15 1:28 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the group at at the very beginning of the process to get the Gastric sleeve surgery. I have the informational meeting for WLS pre-op program on 2/17 and was wondering if anyone in this group had gone through the same hospital for classes. I'm anxious to begin the process, as it's been a long struggle to lose the weight and I'm ready for some help to reach my goals. I'd appreciate any insight into the program and especially to get an idea of the cost of the Options program. I also welcome getting to know all of you and hopefully find people going through the same program. Buddies are always great support! 

larra
on 2/10/15 2:59 am - bay area, CA

Britney, I can't answer your questions about the Options classes, sorry, but will strongly recommend to you that in addition to the classes you continue to do your own research about ALL the different bariatric surgeries available. Specifically, no one at Kaiser is going to tell you about the duodenal switch, even though it is a standard of care bariatric operation with the best results of any presently available operation for percentage excess weight loss and also for resolution of almost all comorbidities. There is one surgeon in the Kaiser SoCal system who does the DS, but people have to learn about it on their own and request to be sent to this surgeon (Dr. Belzberg at Kaiser Harbor City) or else they will just be shuttled through the system without even being aware that this operation exists.

If, having done your research, you decide that the sleeve is perfect for you, go for it! But if not, you will need to speak up and get yourself sent to the right surgeon for the DS.

Larra

britneyb16
on 2/10/15 3:15 am

Thank you for the reply, Larra. I have done tons of research regarding my options. U ruled out the other 3 options due to not wanting the potential issues of the lap band and the major changes of the bypass and DS surgeries. I Decided the sleeve is my best option at this point after speaking with relatives who've done the lab band and sleeve. My client has been dealing with the aftermath of bypass. I've become obsessed with researching. I'm definitely not making this decision impulsively. 😀

larra
on 2/10/15 3:27 am - bay area, CA

Britney, it sounds like you are doing a great job with your research. I'm glad there is more than one operation available these days, and just wish every patient would be a well informed patient. I hope the sleeve will be everything you hope it will be.

Larra

Most Active