I could really use some help with first/next step.

Carol W.
on 7/1/03 1:19 pm - Quaker Hill, ct
I have been reading the posts locally as well as the main board for a few months.I have been thinking about wls for longer than that.Its taken some time to decide I want to move on from reading to actually making a move closer.Now is the time,but I have no idea who to contact first or what to ask.I live in the southeastern part of the state, so I would not be using my own local hospital no matter which doctor I decide to go with.I am a nurse and have been working in the same hospital for the last 21 years,so this is a bit tough on my nerves,not being able to have this surgery with my "comfort" people around.I would like any and all advice from what to do first, doctor choices,to hospitals,to insurance requirements.It seems I am asking alot,but I need the "hand holding" if you will.Feel free to email me if you like.Thanks so much for any help you can offer,and good wishes to all of you.
PookieW2
on 7/1/03 9:25 pm - Milford, CT
Carol, I guess the next step would be for you to start calling some of the doctor's offices. There are long and I mean long waiting lists for just about all of them so it doesn't hurt to call several. They all work a bit differently. Right now I am going with Dr. Bell out of Yale. His office will send you a packet right away with instructions of what to do. After everything is completed then they schedule you for a group consult, then you get a surgery date and then you meet with the doctor individually. There are also monthly support meetings you are welcome to attend pre-and post op. Dr. Reinhold (St. Raphaels) has about a 9 month wait to get a call back. I called him in October and just got a call to go to a informational meeting tonight actually. I don't know how long the wait is from here. This site will help alot. Do you know which kind of surgery you are considering yet? I know there's lots of questions. Feel free to ask.........Linda
Triscuba
on 7/2/03 6:46 am - West Hartford, CT
Hi Carol, I had Lap Band Surgery with Dr. Valin on April 11 of this year and I do recommend him highly. Whatever you do, get your name on a waiting list. You can do more research after and understand that even if you get the appointments you do not have to have the surgery if you don't want to. There are a number of doctors doing the surgery. I think Dr. Valin and Reinhold have been doing the lap band the longest in the state. UCONN health center has a program, but so far I am pretty sure they only do RNY. There are a number of docs in the Southwestern part of the state doing wls. There is one I do not recommend, but I know that Dr. Floch in Norwalk is doing the lap band now too and I know he is an excellent surgeon. I had a great experience and have lost alot of weight in a short time with the lap band surgery...but everyone is different and you need to make your own decision about which surgery would be better for you. Dr. Valin's office helped me with that decision. Good luck to you and I hope all goes well.
Carol W.
on 7/2/03 1:33 pm - Quaker Hill, ct
I am really appreciating all the responces.I am soaking up all that you have to say.If you think of anything else that could be of help please keep passing it on.Thanks again, carol
Most Active
Recent Topics