Sleep Apnea Testing

lucyh37
on 8/27/03 10:17 am - Tolland, CT
VBG on 01/26/04 with
I've met with Dr. Aranow on 7/10/03 and will need to go through some testing in order to do the Gastric Bypass. One of them is testing for Sleep Apnea. Can anyone tell me how long of a process this is and what it involves? I don't do well sleeping somewhere else. I'd appreciate any information you can give me.
Kathy B.
on 8/27/03 11:22 am - East Windsor, CT
Hi, I had a sleep study done at St. Francis a couple of years ago. I had to set up an appointment (took a few months) to go to the hospital and sleep there for the night. They hook you up to little disks (similar to an EKG) on your chest, back and head. They also put an oxygen monitor on your finger. Then, you go to sleep. You are video taped, and all kinds of monitors are running while you sleep. I did not sleep very well (I had to do this twice), but long enough for them to know I had sleep apnea. I now use a C-Pap machine, and it has helped wonderfully. However, I am looking forward to the day when I no longer need it -- if I lose enough weight after the surgery, I probably can ditch the machine! You should try to set up your appointment for an evening before a day that you can get some additional rest at home -- maybe a Friday evening - if that works for you. Regards, Kathy B.
kmax71
on 8/31/03 4:51 am - Lisbon, CT
Hi, I had the sleep apnea test done at L&M in New London in June. I checked in at 8PM and was out by 6:30am the following morning. They put me in my own room, attached me to a bunch (I mean a bunch!) of wires and then I went to sleep. Fortunately there was a TV in the room so I could watch tv until I fell asleep. They watch you on infared cameras and can hear you if you need anything like help going to the bathroom, getting all your wires together. It was real simple, I also didn't think I'd be able to sleep, I didn't sleep well but they got enough info I guess. Good luck! Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics