VSG to DS after regain- question in reagrd to malabsorbtion

Valerie G.
on 7/24/14 1:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Perhaps it's the shortage of long-timers on the VSG board, but I'm amazed at the number of people who believe their stomach will stay the same tiny size they had the first 6 months post op.  The stomach is a stretchy organ, and it WILL stretch over time.  It won't get anywhere near the size of pre-op stomach, but will triple or even quadruple in size over the years (I'm talking 2oz to 8oz for me).  With that comes the ability to eat the protein the body needs with real food and possibly say goodbye to protein drinks.  It also comes with added responsibility to check yourself and what you're eating.  With the ability to eat only 6-8oz of a "vet's sleeve", it's not so much about how much food goes into my stomach, as it is WHAT food goes into my stomach.

End rant :)

nicholivolkoff
on 7/25/14 6:49 am - Canada

I had a vsg in 2009, and regained since. So last winter I got a ds, 100 cm common channel. I have since gained some weight. I started out at 195 and went to 207 now. The ds is NOT a miracle, you must work hard, at least harder than I did. I eat low carb and DS friendly but still continue to gain. GOOD LUCK

DeeDee83
on 4/5/15 8:41 am

I can totally relate.  I too went in for a DS and came out with a VSG.  Currently, I am looking for a surgeon that can give me the DS that I wanted from the beginning.  I was told a DS was not able to be done on me safely with prior abdominal surgeries, one which was an erroded lapband.  So, here I sit, looking into going under the knife again.  Because the VSG just didn't work for long.  This was 5 years ago, and I am 30 pound away from being back to my huge self again.  I now have insurance, after two years of no insurance, and my insurance now will pay for a revision to a DS or resleeving.  I don't want a resleeve, because it's just not enough for me.  I honestly believe the DS is the surgery to keep my weight down.

I am happy for you that you did lose that much weight and that you were successful to get plastics done.  I hope to see that some day.  At 53, I still have many years in my life to live, and I want to live healthy and enjoy it, instead of obsessing over the scale as it creeps back up.

If you want to PM me, please do so.  I would like to talk to you.  I don't judge, because I don't want to be judged either.  I've been judged my entire life with my weight, and it does hurt.

Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 510 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 918 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 306 views