DS to RNY revision?

interpoet
on 4/11/24 3:39 am

Hello all-

I have a recurring esophageal hernia and my doctor is recommending a revision from DS which I had 15 years ago to an RNY. He thinks this will reduce the chances of the hernia returning. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, I've regained most of my post DS weight and am hoping that this revision will help me lose some weight as well, but since the DS is a stronger surgery, my nutritionist says I may not lose any weight with the RNY.

I've never heard of a DS to RNY revision. Any advice is appreciated.

califsleevin
on 4/14/24 11:02 am - CA

I have seen it done on rare occasions where the DS misbehaves or was not done correctly in the first place. I can't comment on whether the RNY is any more resistant to a hiatal hernia recurrence - they both have a small stomach that seems to be prone to being dragged up out of the abdominal cavity. I would certainly get a second (and possibly third) opinion on it. Is the doctor whom you're consulting your original DS surgeon, or someone else - those that don't do the DS can often be quick to ditch it as they aren't that familiar with it (or often, the sleeve itself.)

I understand the concern about minimal weight loss with the change, as the RNY is a metabolically weaker procedure than you DS. Something that might be considered is the uncommon distal (or long limb) RNY which has a weight loss and nutrition/supplement character similar to the DS. It isn't usually covered by insurance as a primary WLS but is when appropriate as a revision. It doesn't have a great reputation as it tends to be troublesome, but I suspect that much of that is because most treat it the same as the standard proximal RNY rather than a DS, and that leads to long term nutrition problems.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Jmm4321
on 4/28/24 8:34 pm

I've noticed it's common for people to go to mediocre doctors nearby and then be willing to travel the world to fix problems later. Your doctors recommendation seems dubious. I would get another opinion and seek out an expert, even if you have to travel to find one.

Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 385 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 841 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views