Dr. Chasen & Dr. Blaney

cdharr
on 9/12/11 9:45 am - Hephzibah, GA
To Dr. Arthur Chasen's patients: Dr. Chasen has relocated to Maui, Hawaii and will be providing bariatric surgery there. Dr. Darren Glass is providing follow-up care for Dr. Chasen's patients, here in Augusta. Trinity Bariatric and Weightloss Center, an ASMBS Center of Excellence, will continue providing the following procedures in the Augusta community: Lap Band, Realize Band, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG), Gastric Bypass (RNY), Duodenal Switch (DS), and revisional bariatric procedures. Procedures are preformed laparoscopically, unless medical cir****tances dictate an "open" procedure.
CJ H
Proximal Open RNY 11/2003
"No tool works if it's been forgotten in the drawer"
LaShelle2
on 9/12/11 1:46 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Who will be doing DS now? I did not realize the new Dr. is a DS surgeon too.   Have you confirmed this?

Sorry Dr. Chasen in leaving. He was well liked and respected by his patients.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

cdharr
on 9/12/11 2:14 pm - Hephzibah, GA

Dr. Chasen moving to Maui is, most certainly, their blessing.  He is definitely missed by us all.  Not only is he an outstanding surgeon, he is a good friend as well. 

Our new surgeon, Dr. Glass, does not do the DS.  Dr. Blaney is our DS surgeon.  He performs the procedure laparoscopically, unless cir****tances mandate the procedure be open.  He worked very closely with Dr. Chasen before he departed.

CJ H
LaShelle2
on 9/12/11 3:15 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
How many DS has Dr. Blaney done?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

cdharr
on 9/12/11 3:30 pm - Hephzibah, GA
I believe he is only putting it out there as having done one (he may have done more since he and I talked about it last month).  The rest of that story is that he only takes credit for one because he was not the lead surgeon on the others; he's not counting the ones he did while learning.
CJ H
LaShelle2
on 9/12/11 3:47 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Well, every surgeon deserves a chance to prove himself.  My surgeon was fairly new to DS when he did mine, and I had a great experience.

I am just glad to see another DS surgeon in GA. I wish there were more, so people would have more choices and would not have to travel so far.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

cdharr
on 9/12/11 3:59 pm - Hephzibah, GA

Didn't one of the DS docs in your area retire this year?  I thought I read that someplace.  I wish there were more surgeons doing the DS as well.  It's a solid, well studied option that should be out there for people.  The RNY is a fabulous procedure, and I'm VERY happy with mine.  That does not mean that it is appropriate for everyone, most definitely the people with super high BMIs.  Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, it requires additional skills and a bit more OR time.  Many docs shy away from it for those reasons.

On another note, is there going to be a Walk From Obesity in ATL this year?  We are having one here on 1 October.

CJ H
LaShelle2
on 9/14/11 4:06 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I haven't heard of any DS surgeons in the area retiring? That's news to me.

Also on a sidenote DS is not for just super overly obese.  Check out dsfacts.com for more clarification on this. :-)
cdharr
on 9/15/11 4:30 am - Hephzibah, GA
You are absolutely right, DS is not just for super high BMIs, but it is definitely one of the very best options for that group of people.  I just hate to see anyone "settle" for a procedure because the one that would serve them best is not available in their area. KWIM?
CJ H
walterswife
on 9/16/11 1:58 am
Dr. Champion retired a month or so ago.  His patients are being referred to Dr. Michael Williams.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active