So, does Medicaid not cover WLS anymore?

Kiwistardust
on 3/4/12 2:10 pm - GA
I'm being dropped from my mom's insurance soon for not being a full time student anymore, and have to apply for Medicaid. I've been searching over the net and saw a post here somewhere about employees or another or something?

I start job training next weekend so will be employed soon, but it's a seasonal job. I'm now even more worried that I won't be able to get this surgery . . . 

I know it's slow here, but does anybody know anything?

Ht: 5'8     CW: 262      GW: 160

I'm so ready for change, it hurts. But all the hurdles I'll have conquered along the way make everything well worth it.

ALPHALUV1
on 3/4/12 8:39 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I know someone who had surgery in Nov through medicaid. I do know that my surgeon told me that some insurers were not going to continue coverage. But if your PCP does a letter of necessity you can dispute their choice if they deny you.
Kiwistardust
on 3/5/12 1:14 am - GA
Thanks Alpha

I just don't know if my PCP will still be my PCP! I have no idea how Medicaid works, so I'm in research mode. Mom heard about me being dropped yesterday, so I'm in a mini-fenzy.

I'm not a state employee, so I was thinking this doesn't apply to me . . . I've seen great things from Peachtree Bariatrics, so I'll search over that way as well.
MARIA F.
on 3/30/12 11:48 am - Athens, GA
On March 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, Kiwistardust wrote:
Thanks Alpha

I just don't know if my PCP will still be my PCP! I have no idea how Medicaid works, so I'm in research mode. Mom heard about me being dropped yesterday, so I'm in a mini-fenzy.

I'm not a state employee, so I was thinking this doesn't apply to me . . . I've seen great things from Peachtree Bariatrics, so I'll search over that way as well.

Great things from Peachtree Bariatrics??? Perhaps you should research further!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

LaShelle2
on 3/5/12 1:50 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
You will not be eligible for medicaid unless you have children or are pregnant. 

Your Mom can keep you on her policy until you turn 26:

Here's what you need to know about the new regulations.

Who's covered: The law takes effect for insurance plans that already cover dependents, starting on or after Sept. 23, 2010.

Those plans will cover policyholders' children until age 26 -- even if those adult children no longer attend college, don't live with their parents and aren't dependents on a tax return.

Finally! We can get health insurance

Under-26 children who were previously dropped from dependent coverage will also be able to re-enroll as long as they don't have access to an employer-sponsored plan.

Is your mom dropping you because she wants you off, or is the insurance company refusing to cover you?  You don't have to be in school to be on her policy.

If it's because she does not want to pay the higher premium, maybe you  can pay her the difference to keep yourself insured?  At least until you have had your surgery.

You will not have very desirable options for surgeons with Medicaid as opposed to private insurance surgeons. You get what you  pay for.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Kiwistardust
on 3/5/12 1:57 am - GA
Thank you so much for responding!!!

My mother is in the National Guard and is covered by federal insurance, but there's no Tricare in GA, so they give all army-folk Kaiser. All mom told me was there were dropping me in May because I'm no longer a full-time Student. I think the insurance company may be refusing me? But I don't think it would have been because of my WLS choice.

curiouscat7
on 3/5/12 3:30 am
 By law they have to keep you on her policy until your 26... and esp the Army...something is not right here.. I would have mom check again.

Good Luck

CC
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Kiwistardust
on 3/5/12 3:35 am, edited 3/5/12 3:36 am - GA
^ Thanks!

I asked her again and she claims she doesn't know why. I also find it weird. If I'm under her insurance does that mean she has to pay more? They take it out her pay anyway.

She doesn't seem like to wants to investigate why I'm being dropped and is just accepting it . . . I'm getting frustrated at her myself now 

Ht: 5'8     CW: 262      GW: 160

I'm so ready for change, it hurts. But all the hurdles I'll have conquered along the way make everything well worth it.

Most Active