Problems with front office staff at Atlanta Bariatrics?

julienne
on 7/4/12 4:07 pm - GA
RNY on 10/22/12
Hi, guys! I'm new to the forum, and this is super long,  so bear with.

I chose Atlanta Bariatrics because I really liked Dr. Johnson, and Susie (the patient advocate) was super nice.I had six months worth of weight loss work to do, which I started around August of last year. Susie was great, calling me every couple of weeks to check in. I made an appointment,  met with Dr. Johnson, Tracy (the nutritionist), and Susie. I was told to complete the upper GI and EKG, see Dr. Van Haveren for my psych, and I would come back in three months to discuss the results of the Upper GI and the psych.

I procrastinated, and the upper GI was done in January. My psych was clear. I expected to get a call from Atlanta Bariatrics to schedule a follow up appt since they had the test results. After three weeks, I hadn't heard anything. I called to make an appointment, and was told that Susie left the practice, and that I needed to speak to Latonya Taylor, who is Dr. Hart's pt advocate. I left a message... no response. I left a second message a week later... no response. She finally called me back, and said there was no need for a second visit. Send in all my documents, and I wouldn't need to be seen until the insurance approved my surgery. This concerned me, because the upper GI revealed a hiatal hernia, and extensive reflux. But if Dr. Johnson wasn't concerned, then I wasn't. Whatever.

I finally get everything I need, and I fax it to the office.On the coversheet, I left my callback number, and asked that the office called to confirm they recieved it. It was a 52 page fax, and we all know printers run out of ink, or paper, or whatever. No call. I fax it again the next morning. No call. I call the office, and I speak to the front desk. I ask if they recieved the fax. I'm told that Latonya will be out of the office for the day, so they don't know. They transfer me to her voicemail, and I leave another message. End of the week comes, no return call.

I'm sure, at this point, most of you are asking why I wasn't more assertive. I work nights for a local 911 center... so I get off of work at 6, and have to stay up until 8:30 when the office opens to call them. They close at 4:30, and I have to be back at work at 6 PM. It makes it super hard to contact the office while they are open.

So I finally call the office again. I talk to the young lady who answers the phone, and she says that because it's been more than 9 months since I attended the patient seminar, they have not kept my paperwork on file, and that I need to attend another patient seminar and start the process over. I blew a gasket. I explaned that the reason it had been more than 9 months from the initial patient seminar is because I had six months worth of weight loss work and was told I did not need to come in at 3 months, despite the fact I had been told otherwise by the previous patient advocate. She took my name and number, and told me that Latonya, the patient advocate, would call me at her earliest convenience.

Latonya finally called me back. She said the reason they could not find my file is because it was on her desk, Dr. Johnson had signed off on it, and that she does her insurance submissions on Fridays, and it would be going out that Friday. ( This was June 4th, 2012) She said she had gotten the fax, everything was fine, and as soon as they had an approval, the surgery scheduler would call me. I explained that my concern was that, while my insurance provider was staying the same, my company was changing plan administrators, and that I was concerned there would be a problem with getting the surgery approved before July 1st. She said it should be fine.

When I got my new insurance card, I scanned it, wrote her an email, and then realized I didn't have her email address. I called the office, and explained that I knew Latonya was busy, is there any way I could have her email address so I could send her this email. The young man who answered the phone said that they don't give out internal email addresses. Um, okay. Email is kind of how productive people communicate, but whatevs. So the only way to get them a copy of the new card is to fax it. Again, we're still faxing? Is this 1990? So I have my husband fax the card from his office. On the coversheet, I requested that they call me to confirm receipt. Again, no call. I have him fax it again, to be sure, and then I call the office. Apparently, Latonya is the only one with access to the fax machine, because I get transferred to her office. I leave a message, and of course, I get no call back.

I'm at my wits' end. At this point, I kind of want to take my $24,000 elsewhere. I have made an appointment with Dr. Paul Macik, but they can't see me until August 2nd. I've been working on this FOR A YEAR.

I've heard such wonderful things about Atlanta Bariatrics, but I'm not seeing it. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems?
Nick E.
on 7/5/12 9:49 am - Duluth, GA
I can't offer any help with Dr. Johnson's office but i strongly recommend Dr. Macik and his office. You might contact Lynne Winne at Emory John's Creek Hospital Bariatric unit. She is the Support Group lead and I have heard her speak positively about Dr. Johnson in the past. Also the Hiatel Hernia issue is very common. Dr. Macik fixed  mine during my VSG in August 2010.  Good Luck!

LaShelle2
on 7/11/12 2:02 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Wow,

It sounds like you have had a hard time.  I think the paperwork and insurance part of the wls process can be more painful than the actual procedure!

I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to consider other options for your surgery.  I changed surgeons at the last minute because I was dissatisfied with the administrative process, and I have no regrets 3 years later.

I would recommend you allowing the existing surgeon's staff to go forward with submitting to insurance while you are looking at other options. That way, if you do decide to switch the insurance approval will already be in process.    It is relatively easy to change the surgeon once insurance has your packet. The new surgeon will have to re-submit to insurance to get all the paperwork switched to his name and hospital, but if you have already been approved by a previous surgeon, this will be mostly a formality.

One thing to consider is,  if the surgeon's office is not attentive and organized with your paperwork pre-op, how easy will it be to get help post op if you have a complication?  I have not heard many bad things about your surgeon, but it seems like his office may be doing some staff changes that are causing a glitch in the process. Regardless, you the patient should not have to suffer because of this, especially with such a life changing procedure.   You definitely need your surgeon's staff to be organized, accessible, and responsive.

Best wishes on whatever you decide, and here's a big hug.  I know all this is very frustrating right now, but it will be so worth it in the end!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

julienne
on 7/13/12 11:32 am - GA
RNY on 10/22/12

Thanks for the help. I did contact Lynne Winnie, and she is the ultimate rock star. She got in touch with the office administrator, who contacted me. We're still playing phone tag, but I got a message that said my packet had been resubmitted.

We'll see how it goes. I have a total girl crush on Lynne WInnie, and Johns Creek seems like a nice facility, so I'm hoping to have the surgery there... But Piedmont and Atlanta Medical are so much closer to my house.  I will keep the appointment with Dr. Macik, and whatever happens, happens.

Thanks again. You guys have helped soooo much.

poc98
on 7/13/12 12:57 pm - Scottdale, GA
Good luck with everything. Dr. Johnson did my surgery about 9 months ago, as well as a hernia repair. I also had problems with reflux and they have all disappeared since I've had the surgery!

I've had no problems with the staff there (pre- and post-op), and it sounds like they must be going through a rocky transition (Susie's departure). I hope things get better. I thought he was a really good doctor and I'm beyond happy with my surgery!
LaShelle2
on 7/15/12 1:55 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
One thing I failed to mention is the importance of getting copies of all your medical records and keeping them or yourself.  That way you can send insurance or a ne physician copies yourself instead of waiting at the bottom of a pile on somebody's desk. 

Remember, you have 1 patient to look after, the surgeon's office has hndreds. You will be your best advocate.

If you have not already done so, start requesting copies of all your pre-op office visits and testing now.   It also makes a great momento when you are years out, and can look over those records and see how far you've come! :-)

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Sherry T.
on 7/16/12 7:33 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I understand your frustration, I had surgery with Dr. Hart 8 weeks ago but let me tell you it's well worth your time.  I know it's hard to follow-up but you do have to stay on them.  I felt like a jerk for what felt like harrassing them to get an status of where they were once they had all the information.  The PCP failed to send the right information when they did it was my complete medical history.  So, LaTonya bless her had to review it all and get what she needed.  She wasn't sure if it would be approved because the format that is required wasn't really what they are used too but she knew how anxious I was and sent it anyway.   It was approved within a week!  Love BCBS!    I have to say I haven't had one bit of naucea or vomiting....I have been naucous but it was my own doing (ie..eating too much or eating mayo).  I feel like I got the best care at Emory Johns Creek from the time I entered the hospital up until they put me in my car to come home (I live 3 hours away).  It's a Center of Excellence (be sure your insurance doesn't require it to be one if you change).  I had pre-op with someone who was approved to have it somewhere else in ATL and because her hosp wasn't a Center of Excellence she had to find a new surgeon and landed in Dr. Hart's office.   

The paperwork part is the hardest I have to say....but my recovery has been amazing.  I mean all surgeries are hard but after a week, most of the soreness was gone and I haven't regretted it at all.   I hope that helps.... you have to listen to your gut (no intented) and what makes you comfortable.  I knew Dr. Hart is the best and that's all that mattered to me because this is life altering surgery.   

(((((Hugs)))))) hang in there!! It's all worth it in the end!! 
mooneybeams
on 8/17/12 12:18 pm - gainesville, GA
VSG on 10/18/12
Glad I read this, I'm trying to decide between Atlanta Bariatrics and Obesity Solutions in Gainesville.  My pet peeve is unreturned phone calls or emails, so AB might not be the right fit for me!
BigKev78
on 9/3/12 9:44 pm - Lilburn, GA
I am sorry that you have had difficulties with the office. I had my surgery with Dr Hart (same office) this past december and my whole process was fairly smooth. In fact, Latonya was amazing through the entire process. I will say that their patient load is pretty high with Dr Hart and Dr Johnson, but stick with it. I always got good results by leaving Latonya messages around 9am and would almost always receive a call back the same day.

Big Kev   My video Blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/ckb1978?feature=mhee

julienne
on 9/4/12 3:22 am - GA
RNY on 10/22/12

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe the problem was that, because I worked nights, I just wasn't availble to wait around all day for a phone call. In addition, this all happened right around July 1st, which is the end of the insurance year for most people.

Since the insurance approval, I've worked with Cindy and Traci, and they have been amazing. Traci is kind of a rock star. I wouldn't discourage anyone from choosing this particular practice, but I would advise that they be persistant.

Most Active