Ask Amy

Amy I.
on 9/21/09 9:11 am
Don't let a premature loss of focus get in the way of your weight loss. Sometimes when you're 6 months or more out of surgery, you might find yourself able to tolerate more foods and might start veering away from the proper food choices. Even though those crackers and cookies go down fine, does not mean they should be eaten on a regular basis. Just because the ice cream didn't cause dumping does not mean it should be consumed every night. These foods offer little to no nutritional value, only extra and unwanted calories.

Take this time to evaluate your daily intake. Are you letting chips, crackers and sweets creep in? Keeping that focus and making the right choices will get you to that goal weight!

I hope everyone is well! Aloha,

Amy Ingols, RD

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

Lois G.
on 9/24/09 2:13 am - Ashland, PA
that is so true, I am out two years this past april and so easy do the slider foods go down, and to loose focus, that is why I continue to have my other rny friends close and support meeting and online support too.....I am happy that I have the sense to recoginize the trigger foods and that each day is new and I only pray that I will continue to do what this tool has given me, another chance..................................thank you                   Lois
Makena
on 9/27/09 7:10 pm, edited 9/27/09 7:11 pm - Kihei, HI
So many (if not all) foods are tolerated by most of us post VSG folks. People are always asking me, "Can you eat this?"

I try to maintain the motto: Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

It's all about making good choices.
Sometimes losing is really winning
I feel like Alice.... I'm in Onderland! 7-18-08

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/09 7:32 am
Hey Amy...quick question??? Should you steer free of sugar-free things? For exampl...sugar-free hard candy, sugar-free ice cream, etc.???
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/09 11:35 am
I had a similar thought because a lot of sugar free sweets are still high in carbs I have noticed. However, sometimes you just have a craving for a sweet, like a sugar free hard candy to suck on or a sugar free peice of gum.
Amy I.
on 10/5/09 6:57 am
To answer both your questions, some sugar free products are going to be better than others. For example a piece of sugar free gum is fine, but other sugar free products like ice creams or candies, they still have calories which can add up.  Just remember that although it says sugar free, it still might have some carbohydrates and calories in it, so always read the label. 

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/09 7:17 am
Thanks Amy, very helpful. I have to watch myself sometimes with sugar free popscicles. At four carbs a pop it can add up! Bottom line, even though its sugar free, its no****er and as with anything I have to relearn moderation is key.
Most Active