Roadblocks everywhere I turn...

Special_KLJ2
on 2/25/10 8:11 am, edited 2/25/10 8:13 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14
I am about to give up on my dreams of DS WLS!  I went to a seminar in 2007 in Iowa but moved and didn't look into anything further.  Then in 2009 I decided that WLS was something that I NEEDED to do and since then I hit brick wall after brick wall. I went to TIABS (in Lenexa, KS) and did all the requirements, had a scheduled surgery date (Nov 30) and on Nov 13 I went to an appointment and found out they did not accept my secondary insurance so we cancelled everything.  Then in December I went to Tallgrass in Topeka and had to jump through more hoops & paperwork,  which I just finished and Tallgrass calls to tell me they are no longer taking my insurances (Medicare and Medicaid).  So I call several doctors in KS, MO & CO and they either didn't take my insurances or don't do the DS.  Today I called insurance and found out I could buy a "Medigap" policy and it would pay what Medicare wouldn't, so I called TIABS back and asked how soon could they do the surgery (remember I had had it scheduled with them once) and a lady comes on to tell me that Dr. Saborwal won't do the surgery on me due to the recommendation from my family doctor on Nov. 19 (a date by which time I had cancelled my appt/surgery with TIABS-so I have no idea why he would be talking to another, unknown-to-me-doc about me) anyway, (I had just seen my family doctor this week and I KNEW he was all for me having this surgery) so I asked who they were talking about and was told "Dr. McKnight".  I told them this is not my primary doctor and I don't even know who Dr. McKnight is, unless he was an ER doc at OMC and had met me there.  She said "yes, he is" and I said "well he's not my primary and doesn't know me, I even took an MMPI this week and passed and my psych. and family doctor would have different opinions since they know me and could I have Dr. Saborwal talk to them and she said "possibly, but once he makes up his mind he usually sticks to his decision" and she hung up!  WTF?!  I otained a number for this Dr. Knight and left him a voicemail to please call me and let me know what he told another doctor about me, especially since I didn't give either one permission to talk about me.  Then I called and left Dr. Saborwal a message to please call me and inform me of the issue and what was said.  I am ANGRY and now don't know what to do.  As a side note: when I first met Dr. Saborwal and said I wanted the BPD/DS he said "no way" since I have a fatty liver.  Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?  And if you know of any doctors who will do the DS AND accepts Medicare in KS or close by please let me know.    
Karen L. Johnson    
jparks81
on 2/26/10 4:28 am - Lenexa, KS
These guys do the sleeve and i'm 99% sure they take medicare.  I overheard someone talking about it in my last office visit.  They're also a center of excellence.

http://www.kcbariatric.com/

Dr Hoehn is awesome.

jparks81
on 2/26/10 4:30 am - Lenexa, KS
Actually on their website it says that they DO take medicare, but medicare only covers RNY and Banding.

http://www.kcbariatric.com/i_bariatric_insurance.php

nightowl
on 2/28/10 10:08 am - Topeka, KS
Medicare definitely covers the duodenal switch, but few surgeons are both skilled enough and willing to perform it.
SkinnyMiniWantsOut
on 2/26/10 9:11 am - MO
I am a patient and I work for KC Bariatrics but we do not do the DS. You are right we do take Medicare but Medicare does not cover the DS. So we aren't going to be any help unless you change your choice of surgery.
Wishing you much success in your WLS journey,
Connie
Special_KLJ2
on 2/27/10 12:56 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14
Thank you to everyone who wrote me.  I have called Dr. Anthone's office and am hopeful that my surgery may end up taking place afterall the setbacks. 
FYI:  I called Medicare and they DO pay for BPD/DS. 
Karen L. Johnson    
Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6507 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6412 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7863 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6896 views