Why am I here?

Girl_in_green_dress
on 8/14/11 12:41 am - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17
 I have my seminar and first consult with the surgeon and nutritionist Tuesday. As i am sitting here filling you the information packet I picture the doctor and whoever else looking back and forth form the packet to me like they are watching a tennis match thinking "Why is this girl here?"

I have no big health issues, tad bit of trouble breathing, but only if i just ran up some stairs of had to chase one of the kids. A trick knee that i roll out of place once in a while, nothing that doesn't fix it's self with time. No high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems that i know of, haven't been to the doctor for anything besides having babies and help to stop smoking. My medical history consist of beautifully and problem free birthing of babies and one doctor telling me i am fat becasue i am depressed, when in reality i was then depressed because i needed help loosing weight and they didn't listen.

My body does not want to let go of this weight, i need help. And i am afraid they are gonna look at my information and be like every other person or doctor and tell me i can do it myself. I am wondering if not having health issues is going to work against me. My mother never had any health issues either, she died suddenly last year at 54 from renal failure accompanied by congestive heart failure, they think was caused by undiagnosed high blood pressure and obesity. I am scared to death to have this happen and leave my children behind. I am more obese than she ever was.

Sorry to vent, felt like i needed to get some of that out somewhere don't have alot of people that would understand the going ons in my head about this stuff.
bufedwards
on 8/14/11 5:34 am, edited 8/14/11 5:35 am - Hustonville, KY
What is your BMI?   Most insurance companies accept a BMI of 35 with health issues and a BMI of 40 without health issues as sufficient reason for surgery. Bariatric surgeons understand that being obese has both environmental and genetic factors that come into play. I also had no health problems (yet) but had a BMI of 84.5. The doctors don't look strictly at what is wrong now, but what is going to be going wrong in the future. Good luck on your journey!

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Girl_in_green_dress
on 8/14/11 6:27 am - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17
 My BMI is 45.6. And i know i fit the requirments but i am imigining the judging inside their heads mostly it is my own mind messing with me. 

Thank you for your kind encouragment, i needed it! 
Lifebeauty
on 8/14/11 11:04 am
Health issues are not the only reasons people get weight loss surgery.  I don't now nor did I before wls.  I have the potential  for high blood pressure and diabetes because of family.  You could be a potential candidated for a lot of things being overweight.  So don't wonder why you are looking over the wls information. 
They don't wonder, they will listen.  Do only what you feel you need to do.  Only hospital stay is five  children.  Take care and think positive.  It will work out.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Chris N.
on 8/15/11 1:19 am
Well, here's the thing.   You don't have major health issues now but it's pretty much a given that obesity will cause problems in the future.  You're at a higher risk for stroke, heart attack, diabetes, some cancers, etc.   The list is VERY long and a significant way of reducing the risks is to lose weight.

So when the doctor has your packet of information they should be seeing the potential for what CAN happen as well as your health right now.   And that you don't have major problems right now will make you a better surgical candidate because there's that much less to worry about during surgery.  

I had no problems walking into the surgeon's office either (though later found that I had mild sleep apnea after he requested tests).    He took me seriously because he wanted to prevent problems rather than wait until I had problems that needed to be treated.   

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

Girl_in_green_dress
on 8/15/11 5:21 am - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17
 Thanks Guys    
Vicki Browning
on 8/17/11 1:19 am - IN
Having been a volunteer at the Norton Weight Management Center, when these packets come in they do not judge or shake their heads asking why is she doing this.   The staff are trained and caring professionals and understand the struggles.  Diets dont work, only 5 percent of individuals will be successful in keeping the weight off.    Kentucky is ranked 5th in the US being the most obese.  So do not feel like "Why is this girl here".   

Girl_in_green_dress
on 8/17/11 4:55 am - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17
 I am feeling better about the whole thing. Everyone was very nice and informative and I learned alot. But now it has turned discouraging.

The nurse that got our information together and talked to use while we were waiting for the surgeon kept telling how hard it is to get approved with my insurance and they are real "sticklers". She said that word so many times i never want to hear it again! Then asked what the other two individuals insurance was and "oh you will float on through". Oh well, very discouraging but will just have to see what happens.
Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 138 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1346 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5162 views