I really think...

anumrzvee
on 4/20/11 2:02 am - PA
...I need a fill.

If you read my post last week, you remember my 1st fill appointment last week the doctor decided NOT to fill the band.

Ok. So in the mean time, I don't feel any restriction, although I still only eat anywhere between 900-1200 calories a day. I'm starting to get hungry,  but I don't snack much if at all. The snacks of my choice are cheese sticks, cashews, sunflower seeds or yogurt...you know all the things that have high amounts of protein.

I'm also wondering if I should increase my caloric intake. Pre-surgery, I was easily eating anywhere between 2500 - 3500 calories a day, and almost all my meals where picked up in a drive thru of some sort, or the local chinese restaurant.

So, what do you think? I am scheduled for a fill on June 1st, but I don't think I'll make it that long...

Any suggestions?

Von a.k.a.
  Anumrzvee

psychomom
on 4/20/11 2:05 am - China Grove, NC
I would move it up to maybe half way between now and when he scheduled you . Give it a little more time but not giving it too much if you are really hungry. Also the denser your protein the longer it lasts. Maybe toy with smaller amts more often etc.

Hermosa L
on 4/20/11 2:39 am
I would not increase your calorie intake just because .. I would follow your doctors plan protein, veggie, fruit and if you have room a complex carb

Nuts are great but raw almonds and pistachos are better options, cheese sticks are great, yogurt is too.. but eat an apple and apple fills me up more than yogurt..

I would see if you can get your appointment a week or two sooner... let them know you are experiencing hunger issues.
Donnamarie
on 4/20/11 3:00 am - NY
Hi Von,

I am glad you posted your caloric intake.  I posted on the board asking about carb intake -- but I think it was the main board.  My calories average about 800 a day and about 90 grams of protein a day.  I was told by a poster *****sponded to my post that she thought my calories intake was too high for the stage I was out.  I have been bothered by it ever since!!!  I was recently reading about another poster who was about a year out and she said she consumes about 650 calories a day.  UGH so confusing.  I was not given a caloric level to aim for so I am just doing what was told to me.  4-6 ounces per meal and keep it high in protein.

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

anumrzvee
on 4/20/11 3:09 am - PA
Hi, Donnamarie! No, I was not told how much to take in by my surgeon, except 3/4 c to a cup of food, with 3-4 oz protein, 2 oz veggies and the rest carbs...but I truly try to limit my carbs, since they have always been a weakness for me.

I figure whatever my intake in calories, as long as it's not ridiculous, it is an improvement from the pre surgery amount. I make sure I don't eat any more than a cup of food, and depending on the food, I may not even eat a cup.

I've decided I have to find what works best for me. So that's my mission...

Von a.k.a.
  Anumrzvee

Hermosa L
on 4/20/11 3:50 am
650 calories is way too low .. my doctor tries to have us not focus on counting calories.. but I do track and on a good day of protein, veggies, fruit,  a complex carb I consume about 1200 or 1100 a day.. I try to keep my carbs at 100 or under sometimes I hit 120 but it comes from fruit or whole grains for the most part.

Because I exercise most days I usually consume  approx 1400 and exercise my NET ends up being around 900-1000.. days I don't exercise I try to keep my calories closer to 1200 or a little under.

Low carb does not work for me personally I know for some they can't consume too many because they can't control it.. I consume my complex carbs in the day not at night because I have time to burn them off.. they give me fuel they keep me full... and they sustain my energy when i'm at the gym... I tend to over eat when I'm low carb because I never get full...

I would follow the plan your doctor provided you...
looking4hope
on 4/20/11 3:06 am
Eating less then 1000 calories a day for a long period of time would put your body into starvation mode ..... wouldn't it?
Donnamarie
on 4/20/11 3:46 am - NY
DISCLAIMER:  This is not a scientific response but a response that I am coming up with after having done some research on starvation mode.

Starvation mode occurs when the body no longer has fat reserves to "feed" off of.  As obese people our fat stores are fairly abundant so it takes a long time for our body to hit "starvation mode".  Some say the body has to get below 6% fat to be in starvation mode.  What happens in a lot of cir****tances is that our bodies stop working optimally if not fed correctly.  However, the food we are eating, high in protein, balanced and well thought out, we are already ahead of the curve.

I'm sure there is someone out there with a whole heck of a lot more scientific knowledge regarding this subject.

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Tooty
on 4/20/11 4:00 am, edited 4/20/11 4:01 am - Germantown, TN
Ever watch Survivor??  Their bodies do not gone into starvation mode....but some of them most definitely should!! ;o)

I don't buy the starvation mode theory at all.... It really is amazing how little food we really need.  It really takes a lot to wrap our heads around that because of all the media, etc. that we are bombarded with....

Did the cavemen go into starvation mode?  I don't think so....  Just really listen to your body and it's signals and make sure it is not your head talking... ;o)
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Most Active