What's the deal with this "happy weight" business?

Jean M.
on 4/30/13 9:23 am
Revision on 08/16/12

At my 6-month post-op visit (which didn't happen until 7 mos post-op due to my work schedule), I weighed 127.8# (4.2# below my goal weight. The NP didn't remark on it and neither did I, but when I got into see a dietitian 30 minutes later, I asked her, "Why am I still losing weight? I'm not even trying now."

She said, "Just keep doing what you're doing. Your body will find its happy weight. Commonly we see patients get to a low weight and then inch back up 5-7 pounds."

I was speechless (which is remarkable for me). Since then, I've found myself thinking, "My happy weight? My body seemed very happy to be 100# heavier, and enjoying half a gallon of ice cream a day. How can I trust my body to find a healthy happy weight?"

I asked some WLS pals about this, and they suggested adding more complex carbs to my diet, which I've been able to do. For example, I eat cooked barley with fruit and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Like that. This strategy has an additional benefit in that it seems to quell the constant, ferocious hunger I've had since my sleeve surgery. 

But...

At my annual GYN exam today, my doctor said, "So, you're the Incredible Shrinking Woman!" She was very supportive of my band surgery back when my ex-PCP pooh-poohed it, and I was glad that she's proud of me, but...

This morning I weighed 123.6# on my scale (126 at the GYN's office), or 8.4# below my goal weight. So is THIS my new happy weight, or am I on my way to underweight?

I know it's a problem some of us have wished we had, but I can't afford to replace my wardrobe right now. And neither can I spend my days at work hiking up my pants every 10 minutes because they're creeping down towards my knees. This is a mind-bending experience, to say the least.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/13 10:11 am
On April 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Pacific Time, Jean M. wrote:

At my 6-month post-op visit (which didn't happen until 7 mos post-op due to my work schedule), I weighed 127.8# (4.2# below my goal weight. The NP didn't remark on it and neither did I, but when I got into see a dietitian 30 minutes later, I asked her, "Why am I still losing weight? I'm not even trying now."

She said, "Just keep doing what you're doing. Your body will find its happy weight. Commonly we see patients get to a low weight and then inch back up 5-7 pounds."

I was speechless (which is remarkable for me). Since then, I've found myself thinking, "My happy weight? My body seemed very happy to be 100# heavier, and enjoying half a gallon of ice cream a day. How can I trust my body to find a healthy happy weight?"

I asked some WLS pals about this, and they suggested adding more complex carbs to my diet, which I've been able to do. For example, I eat cooked barley with fruit and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Like that. This strategy has an additional benefit in that it seems to quell the constant, ferocious hunger I've had since my sleeve surgery. 

But...

At my annual GYN exam today, my doctor said, "So, you're the Incredible Shrinking Woman!" She was very supportive of my band surgery back when my ex-PCP pooh-poohed it, and I was glad that she's proud of me, but...

This morning I weighed 123.6# on my scale (126 at the GYN's office), or 8.4# below my goal weight. So is THIS my new happy weight, or am I on my way to underweight?

I know it's a problem some of us have wished we had, but I can't afford to replace my wardrobe right now. And neither can I spend my days at work hiking up my pants every 10 minutes because they're creeping down towards my knees. This is a mind-bending experience, to say the least.

According to your daily menus you have been eating sugar and carbs from day #1.  However, I am very happy the sleeve did for you what the band could not.

Welcome to this side of the fence.  Just so happy the sleeve finally got you there and will keep you there.

bagelface
on 4/30/13 11:40 am
VSG on 08/22/12

Wanna buy a book?

Susan

Lapband 1/3/2007 (skmsu) revision to VSG 8/22/2012

Lisa O.
on 5/1/13 4:52 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Completely uncalled for!

Shame on you!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

pineview01
on 4/30/13 2:04 pm - Davison, MI

Jean I was told the same thing.  They set a new goal for me of 25 pounds less than they did for the band.  They said to keep losing until I stop and than I'd inch back up 5-10 pounds.  But, they also mean while following plan and not eating off plan.  They told me the same for the band but, that place would be higher.  I am down 12 pounds less than my low with the band now.

How many calories do they have you on?  Was the Nut happy with your food logs/journals?

I would be happy to buy a new wardrobe.  I am now "shopping" from my closes from many moons ago and the DD closet.  I bought a new belt and did replace all my everyday shirts.  I had pretty much worn out all the XL which is the smallest tops I got down to with just Atkins and just the band.  I would love to have your worries.

If I stopped losing now I'd be OK but, I would still be Obese by the charts

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jean M.
on 4/30/13 9:41 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I'm eating about 1200 calories a day (protein, fruits, veggies, dairy) which the dietitian said is fine..."Just keep doing what you're doing."

I wish I'd thought to do more "closet shopping"!

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

vlp1968
on 5/1/13 1:20 am

Great to hear from you Jean.  As you can imagine, many of us wish we had your problem lol.  I like the fact you added more complex carbs.  I did the same thing a while back and my hunger has been much more in control.  IMHO 1200 calories doesn't sound like a lot.  It makes sense to me that if your still loosing, you are taking in less calories than your burning.  I know you work out a lot and that's great.  I would try uping your calories with additional healthy foods.  I believe in the basic tenance- calories in, calories out.  Keep us posted on how your doing.

Jean M.
on 5/1/13 9:13 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Yeah, I know, it's a good problem to have...just not one I have any past experience with!

I agree that 1200 calories isn't a lot. My Diet Organizer food log tells me that my BMR is 1857 calories, plus I burn 200-400 calories a day in workouts, and goodness knows how many when I'm running around at work. But the dietitian (who looks like she's about 15 years old and has never - I imagine - struggled with her own weight) repeated that 1200 calories is fine.

Ms Shell
on 5/1/13 2:18 am - Hawthorne, CA

From what I'm seen that "honeymoon" which is at the very LEAST 1 year post op when they say LOSE all you can...anyway that happy weight settles in right around THAT time frame.  I don't think you are a year out yet, I really have seen the body stabilize at 1 year no matter what you do (especially those that continue to lose under their goals).

You are doing everything right and your menu looks spot on.

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Jean M.
on 5/1/13 9:04 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Thanks, Ms Shell. I'm only 9 mos post-op. If my weight's going to stabilize in another 3 months or so, I can deal with that. If I drop another clothing size between now and then, I'm going to hang on to the bigger clothes just in case. I just don't want to end up with a closet full of 4+ sizes like back in my fat days! I know it's silly to worry about my clothing as much as my health, but those clothes are a visual daily reminder of my lifelong weight problem.

Most Active