Gastric sleeve

bostonbabe369
on 6/20/13 2:46 pm - Stoughton, MA

So bummed right now. My ortho doc recommended I should get weight loss surgery to alleviate my degenerative joint and disc disease problems. Unfortunately cortisone shots are no longer working for me. I need total knee replacement in both knees. My bones are rubbing together and my knees are filled with arthritis. Very painful at times but I manage. I also have GERD and high blood pressure. My ortho doc says I am a candidate for knee replacement but he wants to wait. He says I am too young for the procedure. Losing weight will alleviate some of my discomfort.

On my first visit to my bariatric surgeon, we discussed all of the surgeries that would be available to me. After much discussion, I decided I wanted to have gastric bypass surgery. Over the last few months, I had all required test performed and I already ready have a letter from a psychiatrist. All I had to do was to lose 12 pounds before he would seek insurance  approval. I only have 2-3 pounds left to lose.

To make a long story short, I had my monthly visit with my surgeon this week. Now he thinks I should have the gastric sleeve instead. He thinks down the road I may need NSAID meds. He told me months ago to stop taking them.  I could develop bleeding ulcers if I took them after the surgery. I have had some inflammation, but I thought after losing the weight I wouldn't need the meds anyway.

I was wondering if someone on the forum can give me some input about the sleeve. I love sweets and carbs and I thought that the bypass surgery would keep me in check from not indulging. It would be my safety net. I have read with the sleeve you can eat anything. I am afraid down the road, I may slip back into my bad habits and make poor food choices again. I know that the surgery is only a tool no matter which type you have. The rest is on you. If I could make wise choices, I wouldn't need surgery to lose weight. I want to be successful with my weight loss journey.

The sleeve is less invasive and the recovery time is faster. The surgery is irreversible. This is one of my concerns. I have been doing research on both surgeries and I feel confused. Do I stick with what I originally wanted and forego taking the NSAID meds?  Or get the sleeve? I don't know how I may feel medically down the road, I may need the meds again.

Sounds simple, but it's not. Not much info or data about the effects of the sleeve long term. Have to figure out something soon due to the fact that he will probably submit paperwork next month since I am losing the required weight. Would really appreciate some advice or feedback from others. Thanks!

Jennifer39
on 6/27/13 5:30 am

You know you're body better than anyone of us. Do you think you'll be able to forgo the pain meds? What's more important? These are questions you'll want to ask yourself. Both surgeries have risks. I personally will be getting rny due to the immediate results and the malabsorption that I think I will benefit from in the end. 

Concentrate on what you HONESTLY think you'll be able to handle long term. Don't lie to yourself. Be honest!

bostonbabe369
on 6/27/13 6:27 am - Stoughton, MA

Thanks for your input. Elevating pain is def more important. I have been pondering this everyday. I am very torn right now. I would rather have the bypass, but I have done some extensive research on both procedures. Malabsorption only last for 2 years. Plus I don't want to be throwing up. At the 2 year mark both surgeries have the same outcome as far as weight loss. With the sleeve you can take medications and you are not committed to taking supplements the rest of your life.  Also with the sleeve they take out a part of your stomach that produces a hunger hormone. The sleeve is irreversible but less risk. I have spoken with people who have had both surgeries. For some reason more people favor the sleeve. Both surgeries are a tool the rest is on you. I have several friends who had bypass surgery over the last 2 years, they are back to their old habits and their weight is creeping back again. There is no guarantee with either procedure.

cappy11448
on 7/5/13 5:25 am

Hi,

I have the sleeve and I'm really happy with it.  The advantages of the sleeve are:  that you don't mess with the intestines.  Your pylori valve is still in place, and working (at the base of the tummy).  Much of the stomach is removed which means less of the hormone gherin that causes hunger.  Also I did not like the idea of dumping syndrome, and I was concerned about the long-term impact of the mal-absorption.  So the sleeve was a good fit for me. 

From what I understand, you can regain weight with either the bypass or the sleeve.  Its really about following the diet and exercise plan rather than the type of surgery. 

One other thought.  I also craved sweets ferociously.  I found that if I keep my carbs low, the cravings go away after a few days.  You might give it a try.  It was almost miraculous how much better I was able to comply with my diet if I kept my carb intake really low.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.  I wish you well with this decision.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

bostonbabe369
on 8/7/13 7:48 am - Stoughton, MA

Thanks Carol!

I really appreciate your input about the sleeve. I have done more research on the sleeve. It's definitely the way to go for me. I need to take my meds. I also like the idea of faster recovery time and less complications. My surgeon has been great. He told me if I was his sister, he would perform the sleeve vs the bypass. That was very reassuring to me. Both surgeries have the same outcome. The rest is on me. Just waiting on a surgery date now.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2198 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4386 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4514 views