Options before WLS for an overwhelmed newbie

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/13 11:43 am - MA

Hello all, newbie here...  I've read these boards so many times over the past few years, but I'm finally admitting I need to do something and I have nobody else to chat with.  I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  I am 5'3, 200 lbs, 32 years old.  I am hoping that this can be corrected/reversed with weight loss and diet.  We've been trying to conceive for the last 2 years with no success and the stress of it all has really contributed to my obsession with sugar and carbs...  I feel like I am spiraling out of control right now with my binge eating and I am starting to feel really defeated.

I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas or recommendations  on how to get started.  While I know that WLS is an option, I'm wondering if I could try a few other avenues first.  I'm south of Boston (South Shore/South Coast area)...  Are there any binge eating support groups, therapists, medically assisted weight loss docs in this area that you can recommend?  Or have you had success doing/taking something different?

Any and all ideas are welcome, thanks so much!

cappy11448
on 10/5/13 9:31 pm

Hi,

Many people who are obese find that they can lose weight, but its difficult to maintain the weight loss.  I can't count how many times I've lost 50 pounds only to put them back on at an amazing rate once I go off the diet.  The good thing about weight loss surgery is that people are more likely to keep the weight off. 

Statistics show that only 3 to 5 % of people who lose weight through diet and exercise are able to maintain the weight loss.  For WLS, it is closer to 66 % who can maintain the loss.  You might be one of the 3 to 5%. 

My hospital (and probably most) have Medical Weight Loss programs as well as WLS programs.  You might try that first. 

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2197 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4385 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4512 views