hi! I'm new here

stina224
on 12/5/13 11:00 pm

So I'm half way through the "pre-surgical" process at the UMass Weight Center. I've gone to 2 of the 4 skills group classes, and now that I'm totally committed to surgery and feeling really good about it I want to start establishing a good support network.

Not sure if I'll be having the sleeve or bypass yet...I'm waiting to talk it over with the surgeon, who I hope will be Dr. Kelly.

I just wanted to get on and post something to get the ball rolling. I certainly have some concerns about what it will be like after surgery and losing weight (i.e. missing certain foods, excess skin) but I know that this is the right thing for me to do at this time in my life :D

Mary Gee
on 12/6/13 3:05 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi - Welcome.   I'm going through the "pre-surgical" process at UMass too!!   I just met with dietitian today and she gave me the OK to start the skills group classes - then they told me I have to pay the $350 fee before I can begin.  I went over to the Financial Counseling office, and I may qualify for a waiver of the fee - I've got to locate some paperwork and fax it in to them - but should have decision by end of next week, so I can keep the ball rolling.    

I'm also up in the air about sleeve or bypass - need more info on the sleeve.  I was originally planning on the bypass, then started reading more here about the sleeve.  Looks like sleeve is a two-step process when you are super obese (me ).  Also looks like there's no mal-absorption which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.  So I'm still doing research -- there's so much info here.

I, too, am hoping for Dr. Kelly  but I do have confidence in all the doctors.  UMass has an amazing process to get you ready for the surgery and your life after surgery.  I haven't read about any other program that has you meet with an Exercise Instructor.  It takes a while to get through the process - but it's worth it.  Have you gone to the Surgery Information meeting (in the auditorium, once a month)?  Not the Orientation, but a meeting where I think they have post-op patients talking about their experiences.  I also have to see my cardiologist and have a sleep study done.   Appts., appts., appts. -- my calendar is full !

Unfortunately, not many people post here on the State board - I generally check out the General Support, the RNY, and now the VSG boards - but I do check in here about once a week.  Look forward to hearing more from you.   Also, just an FYI, there's another site I check out regularly -- The World According to Eggface . com.  Michelle has so much info and blogs regularly -- she's inspirational.

Good luck as you continue your journey.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

stina224
on 12/6/13 6:02 am

Thanks, Mary!

Best of luck with the waiver.

I, too, have confidence in all the docs at UMass and I'm in love with the WLS process there. I didn't compare it to any others 1. because I had already heard such great things about the weight center and 2. I live in Worcester lol. I love that there are so many appointments over a considerable period of time because they really want to make sure that you're prepared, informed, and have had a good amount of time to make the right decision for you... I just love that.

I haven't been to the surgery information meeting yet, but I plan to go to the one this month on the 19th.

Good luck on your journey, as well!

bostonbabe369
on 12/7/13 12:02 pm - Stoughton, MA

Hi Mary,

Welcome! The pre-surgical process goes by really fast. My appointments were back to back. I worked nights so I had time to take any available appointments and cancelations. I think I was done in 4 months and had my surgery in the 6th month. I first went in for the bypass. I have bad arthritis and asthma. I need pain meds and prednisone at times. With the bypass you can't take a lot of meds. My surgeon felt the sleeve would be a better option for me. Got sleeved on November 13th. I feel great. I have lost alomost 30 pounds and I am a lightweight. I do struggle to get in my protein everyday. So little food really fills me up. 1-2 ounces of soft chicken or fish and I am full. I don't have room for anything else. So many people are cautious about the sleeve. I have researched the procedure. It is not new and there is lots of new, positive data to support the sleeve. I have lost more weight than my friend who had the bypass. I am not trying to lose weight fast.It takes time to develop and adapt to new habits. I want to be successful in my journey. Everyone is different. I did not want my plumbing rerouted or lifetime vitamins. I read the bypass forum a lot. It seems as though some people develop problems from the procedure. Again, I am very satisfied with the procedure I chose. You have time to decide what is right for you. Maybe you feel as though you need the malabsorption or the possible dumping to stay on track. I like eating normal just smaller portions. Just my two cents. Do your research!

Mary Gee
on 12/6/13 7:34 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I have an appt. with my cardio on the 19th - but it's at 8:20 a.m., and I really don't want to make two trips into Worcester (I live in Webster).  If the appt. was later in the day I'd stick around.  

I just re-read your original post and see you mentioned missing certain foods.  I'm a big pasta eater and I know after surgery it's proteins and water first.  But in reading the posts here, so many, many people say their tastes change and they don't miss their old "favorites".   Sure hope that applies -- I'll be making spaghetti squash and cauliflower rice when I reach the "real food" stage.  kiss

Mary Gee
on 12/7/13 12:45 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Thanks BB -- As you suggested, I am trying to do more research on the sleeve and I've been reading that board a lot lately.  Each has pros and cons.  On one hand I think of the bypass as being like Antibuse (sp?) for alcoholics -- if you eat the wrong food you'll dump.... so I do consider it a deterrent to eating the "wrong" foods.  But I do need to take pain meds, etc.  So I'm giving serious consideration to the sleeve.  I'll be going to a general surgical information session (it's held monthly) and also one of the four group sessions explains the different surgeries.  I'll have a lot of questions when I meet the surgeon, that's for sure.  I do want to eat "real" food without having to worry about "an incident"!

Things are moving fast - slight hold-up now because I'm waiting for an Income Verification from Social Security - looks like I will be eligible for a waiver of the $350 program fee -- but I should have that within a week, then things will start to move again.  I'm thinking now I may be ready for surgery by March - I was originally thinking it would be June - so I'm really happy about that.

I look forward to hearing from you as you progress along your journey!

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/13 5:28 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

Hey Everyone,

I live in the Worcester area, I had my VSG surgery done at St. Vincent Hospital but I've met some Umass patience on here too. Feel free to add me as a friend, I keep updates going threw my journey. I had my surgery Feb 25, 2013. I was 230, I am now 125 lbs. 105 lbs gone!!! I am 10 lbs under goal weight, my doctor says I am just right with my height. Now I am starting to get into toning and building muscle. 

The reason why I choose VSG over bypass was because I have a friend who had Gastric Bypass. She has severe iron deficiency to the point that she cannot drive. She has to get iron infusion once a week. She is 3 years out, she's lost 100 lbs initially but then gained 50 back because she has to keep eating to keep her sugar up too.  Then I have a friend who got Lap band. She is so upset she got it. She only lost 30lbs and is struggling to take more off. They keep adjusting her band but nothing is working, so she gave up and had them take all the stuff out so she is trying to do it on her own. She wishes the VSG was available when she went, she said she'd totally would have gotten that.

My decision was because I've seen those two people and then when I was talking with my doctor he said people do much better with the Sleeve. Less complications, no vitamin deficiency. So, I thought okay sounds good. My mother in law also got it done December 2012. She will be a year out. She is happy with it, thou she hasn't worked it like me, I followed the plan and exercise and lost 105 lbs in 10 months. She only has lost 50 lbs but that's because she isn't following the program. 

I have no regrets! I haven't had any issues, knock on wood. :) The surgery itself was easy, and I only had to stay a night. 

Good luck with your choices!!! Friend me!

Jill

Mary Gee
on 12/12/13 3:39 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Jill - thanks for posting.  As I learn more about the Sleeve, I'm leaning more towards that surgery.  Still gathering information though.  Going to Surgical information meeting on the 19th; having gotten to my surgical consult yet.

Good for you for having the surgery at your young age -- wish I could have done it sooner -- I am so looking forward to regaining my health back - I know I won't be 100% healthy, but I'll be very much improved.  Maybe then I can get another pug - I'll be able to walk it !

Congratulations on your success - I know you've worked hard at it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2197 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4385 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4512 views