Feeling Malnurished

fiddlechickpatti
on 1/25/13 2:26 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13
Hi,

I had VSG last Wednesday and felt quite good until today. How do we get enough protein if we can only take such tiny amounts, especially now since my once yummy protein drink now makes me want to barf?

I made a carrot and lentil soup and puréed the crap out of it but I can only eat it so much. I have some of the Bolthouse or Boathouse protein plus chocolate drinks but they have 49g of sugar!

Whey protein grosses me out now.

I climbed my stairs and I was more out of breath than I was pre op.

My mouth feels gross. I wake up with some kind of coating in it and it feels good for awhile after brushing but after my first drink it's back and even my back teeth are covered in something.

I'm feeling panicky all of a sudden that I've done this to myself and can't undo it. My mind just plays tricks on me. My emotions are off the charts. I'm having really weird dreams.

I know I'm not drinking enough water. I did get a B12 eyedropper full in today though.

Is all of this normal???? Please tell me it is....lol.

VSG done with Dr. Ariel Ortiz, Tijuana, MX on Jan. 16, 2013.  Starting weight 301.  Lost 24 pounds pre-op.  Check out my blog here:  ChubbyU

Madelaine2000
on 1/25/13 8:22 pm

Hi Patti..

This is very unknown territory isn't it? I too went to Mexico and found myself a little on my own once I got home as we don't have an office we can just call up or go to. That being said, we can email our docs and get answers very quickly so I hope you can and will do that.

Lots of people on here talk about the first couple of weeks after and not to worry about the amount of protein you get in so early but more importantly, to stay hydrated! Drink as much as you can.water, tea, diluted juice, soup broth...that's what you can focus on until you can get the protein in. Stay away from that protein powder..that is not a good option. I only have found one powder that I can stomach so Im with you on that. Your taste buds do change after surgery but in a few weeks that protein drink might taste okay again. Just try it again down the road. You can add unflavored protein powder to almost anything so if you are at that stage, why not try that?

If this was me, I would relax, not worry about the protein right now and stay hydrated. Hope that helps!

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

fiddlechickpatti
on 1/26/13 12:37 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13

Thinking about it, I definitely haven't been sipping enough on fluids between eating. The no drinking one hour before eating recommendation and the length of time I take to eat soup (probably reheat once or twice because it gets cold) I just forgot about getting the other fluids in.  Ugh...feel like an idiot...

VSG done with Dr. Ariel Ortiz, Tijuana, MX on Jan. 16, 2013.  Starting weight 301.  Lost 24 pounds pre-op.  Check out my blog here:  ChubbyU

notoriousgrannyD
on 1/25/13 8:25 pm
VSG on 10/16/12

Very normal, both the emotions and the slimy protein coating on the teeth, but you can only go forward from here so as my momma used to say  - suck it up buttercup.   Sounds harsh, I know, but sometimes all you can do is push through.  Are you drinking both water and shakes with a shot glass?  I found this helped in the beginning, it just didn't seem as daunting as a big honkin' water bottle.  Don't worry about stuff like sugar, fat and calories yet, just concentrate on protein and most importantly water.  The vets will tell you sip, sip sip and they mean it (it just sounds easier than it is!)  Also there is a lot of hormones stored in our fat stores which are released rather quickly when we are dropping weight fast and apparently this can give us a lot of extra estrogen (oh great) so this can play havoc with our emotions (think PMS)

In the beginning this consumes your life, your thoughts and your emotions but IT DOES get easier.  Take it day by day (hour by hour if you have to),  You can do this, we are all behind you and we understand.

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
fiddlechickpatti
on 1/26/13 12:55 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13

Oh great is right on the extra estrogen.  I think I cried or was on the verge of crying no less than 6 times yesterday.  I feel better today, and I'm very VERY grateful for the support here.  :)

By the way, are there two tickers showing up?  I'm not sure why...updated my starting weight because that's what was on my file with the doctor in Mexico.  I assumed it would just update the ticker but I think it made another one...

rainyone
on 1/25/13 11:59 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

Focus on water first ... well any fluid!. You need fluids or you will end in emerg with an iv. Constantly sip . I found warm or hot fluids like broth, or tea went down much easier. My sister found icy drinks ... the colder the better sat better for her.  Figure out what works. Protien next. It will take awhile before you end up reaching your goals. Keep in mind your stomach is swollen right now and your capacity is much smaller than it will be in even a couple of weeks or month.  It was about 3 weeks before I could get all my fluids in. About a month before protein wasn't an issue . Don't worry about calories or anything but fluids and protein at this point. This is why the weight loss is greatest in the first month. You won't be getting very many calories in - almost all from protein shakes . Food will make up most of it later. 

Beneprotein or other unflavored proteins - add it to everything, Puddings, yogurts, soups ( mix it up with cold water into a paste first then mix it in so it doesn't clump)

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

fiddlechickpatti
on 1/26/13 1:02 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13

Thanks.  :)  I feel much better now.  Sipping water lots today....

Dianne C.
on 1/26/13 8:49 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Hey Patti

Did Dr. Miranda tell you no drinking for an hour before & after food? I thought it was only half an hour each. (I just checked the follow-up on the OCC website and it says... "Chew thoroughly and do not eat and drink at the same time (more than 30 minutes apart)." Maybe that will help? An hour before and after is a long time. That would be six whole hours out of a day you wouldn't be drinking. 

Have you tried yogurt? Greek yogurt especially has a lot of protein. I don't like it plain but you can flavour it with sugar-free syrups. (Just don't buy any yogurt that has fruit seeds yet.) I've discovered that if you mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder in 125-150 g of Greek yogurt and let it sit for a bit, the consistency thins. You get a whopping serving or protein - about 15-18 in the yogurt plus 20-25 in the protein powder. I have that for breakfast most days. I didn't try this until the last few months, so I don't know if I would have been able to tolerate the taste at the stage you're at, but it's worth a try. Other flavours of protein powder work, too.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

fiddlechickpatti
on 1/26/13 10:23 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13

That sounds really good....the Greek yogurt and protein powder.  Good to hear it's only 30 minutes.  I guess somewhere along the line I heard one hour...I notice some of the info in the package is conflicting.  I seem to be getting a lot of heartburn...the Gatorade is giving it to me now and some other things too.  I'm on Ranitidine and have gone to 2 per day.  Thank for the tip!

Teasha1
on 1/26/13 11:44 am
VSG on 06/04/12
Heartburn is not fun. Crystal light myo and poweraid all gave me heartburn. I am 7 months and have only started being ablr to use crystal light. Remeber jello and sugar free popcycles are liqid and may go down better.

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Most Active