Having more frequent coffee get togethers...

manitobamike
on 2/12/14 4:55 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

I've tried this before without much success but...

I know there's a coffee get together planned for tonight, but does anyone else want to meet for coffee somewhere more central than out in Fort Richmond; on a more frequent basis; which are not tied to when there are workshops at Victoria Hospital? (which are only open to those who had surgery through the Manitoba Bariatric Program)

If so please PM me. I'd like to meet fellow pre and post bariatric surgery patients in person and exchange information and support instead of  just online.

Buziemom3
on 2/12/14 12:58 pm - Canada

I'm totally interested... Count me in when you narrow anything down or hear from others ;)

goneforgood
on 2/12/14 9:22 pm

Where, when? 

manitobamike
on 2/13/14 12:29 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

I'd like to have it centrally located within easy bus and car routes.  Right now I'm thinking either something in a coffee shop that's not too busy and offers some privacy. A place that comes tomind is the coffee shop on Albert and Bannatyne which is not busy and has a large table in the back. Even something in the suburbs as long as its not far (like Fort Richmond) and on frequent main bus routes. I don't know of others off hand but if everyone offers suggestions maybe we can put something together.

Right now I can make days and evenings (and weekends) but I'm thinking evenings or weekend afternoons in the long run.

I sometimes go to OA in Elmwood on Saturday mornings and it works because the people involved make the meetings work by showing up. If we make it difficult to get together because of time and distance then I think we end up back to where we are. (limited get togethers and not always easy to get to)

Karenerickson
on 2/13/14 10:08 pm - Portage La Prairie, Canada

If I lived in Winnipeg I would love to come for coffee! Maybe once the weather is better, if you plan one on a weekend I can come in for a visit.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/14 11:45 pm

mike i would love it if there were more coffee get together ,i understand why you want to have them closer to you.We have tried alternating from the south end to the polo park area but that didnt really work.

for me personally its closer for me to go to grand forks than it is to go downtown so i would not go to those.

I hope you can work something out for those of you who want to meet downtown area.

sondra

manitobamike
on 2/15/14 6:05 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

I'm thinking that perhaps coffee get togethers might get organized by folk that live closer to each other, then everyone (or as many as want to) meet at the Meet & Greets periodically. This is sort of the arrangement used by another support group I belong to.

I'm finding the infrequent get togethers to be less conducive for support, as is the limit dialogue here on OH.com.

I've been reading up and downloading a lot of information on obesity, baraitric surgery, fitness and nutrition that I think would benefit other people who have had surgery or are contemplating surgery or just want to be healthy. Plus I have good access to information via my physiotherapist and the bariatric program in Edmonton. I've completed all the Edmonton Weight Wise modules and can share what I have learned there.

But I'm not going to post this information online because sitting at the computer is not being active and I want to be more active.

pegcitygrl
on 2/16/14 9:58 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Hi Mike I live in wpg and would like to meet up with you and the other people that decide to join in. Don't worry about pleasing everyone on these boards. There's no reason why the people who live out side of the city can't organize one when its good for them. I think Sandra likes to organize ones that she is able to get to.  So let's set up a time and place. I'm interested in seeing what the differences from province to provine are. If you just want to meet for coffee this Wednesday evening let me know.

manitobamike
on 2/17/14 8:06 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

OK Wednesday it is. I have a dinner date at 5PMish in the West Broadway area.  Would we be able to meet somewhere either downtown or in the Osborne Village area say around 7:30PM? Or Cousins on Sherbrooke by the Misercordia Hospital? There are tables in the back and its relatively quiet.

Anyone else able to make Wednesday evening?

pegcitygrl
on 2/17/14 10:00 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I've never been to Cousins.  See you at 7:30pm! Its a date! I'm bring a friend as well :-)  

Most Active