Maryland Health Insurance Plan

Amy O.
on 3/28/11 12:22 pm - Dundalk, MD
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello and ask a quick question :)

I just applied for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan (the high risk pool) because I keep getting denied private health insurance because of my weight. I was just wondering if anyone else here has the plan as well and has gotten approved for the vsg? I know it's a long shot but was just curious :)
Cira S.
on 3/28/11 3:29 pm - Charles Town , WV
Hello Amy,

I am sorry I have no information for you.  But I wanted to commend you for being your own advocate. Stay on top of everything.
Wishing you all the best in your journy. Please keep us posted ok.

Cira

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

hazelnut6
on 3/28/11 9:04 pm
Hmmmm...wonder what ever happened to the exclusion of pre-existing conditions with the health care reform act?  It's a bunch of bs that you're being turned away like that!!

I don't know anything about MHIP, but I do wish you good luck and hope things fall into place for you!

Amy O.
on 3/29/11 9:55 am - Dundalk, MD
Thanks to both of you :)

My current job doesn't have health insurance at all and i've been looking for new jobs but no luck so far. I'm praying something will happen soon but as always it only happens in its own time!
ThisisRidiculous
on 3/29/11 5:01 pm
Unfortunately, I think I read on here somewhere ...maybe the insurance forum?...that there are NO non-group insurance plans that cover WLS. You are going to have to hope for employment with a company who has good health insurance. I DO think Maryland's Medicaid WILL cover it. Good luck to you. I know how you feel...for several years my company's medical plan excluded WLS and FINALLY added it. I was one of the first to get it.
hazelnut6
on 3/30/11 8:41 am, edited 3/30/11 8:41 am
Amy,

Put in your application and resume to the hospital (BWMC)...if you can get your foot in the door...they do cover WLS (but you will have to go through UMMS to have it done or you will be out of network)  So far, any out of pocket from my WLS has been under $100.  Not all my claims have been processed yet.

Amy O.
on 3/30/11 11:07 am, edited 3/30/11 12:07 pm - Dundalk, MD
Thanks so much!! I will check that out right now I applied for two positions! Do you know if they give benefits to part time employees?

If anyone else has any leads it is much appreciated. I am dedicated to getting healthy and i'm trying any means necessary.
cindy31
on 3/31/11 2:12 am - Gwynn Oak, MD
The hospital i work for Kennedy Krieger Institute is hiring and we do have some part time jobs and part time employees also get benefits but they are slightly higher .
Here is the link
https://jobs-kennedykrieger.icims.com/jobs/intro

Highest weight- 325  Day of surgery- 301  Post surgery -306            
Lin_2
on 4/1/11 9:21 am
Not sure what line of work you're in, but I remember reading that Starbuck's offers ins to part time workers, and I thought GBMC did too (since you're applying to other hospital). Although it might be a hike from where you are.
Don't forget to ask MHIP. I worked with someone who had it and I was surprised at what it covered!
Good luck!!

Amy O.
on 4/1/11 10:36 am - Dundalk, MD
I applied at two different Starbucks in the area and never got a callback :( 

I'm actually in the telecom/tech field but I'm a contractor for right now so no benefits. I was hoping to be hired on by now but it's not looking too good and they couldn't give me even a guess of when i might.

GBMC is far but i've been to that hospital in the past and I love it. I will check them out!

Again, thanks so much to everyone who has posted. I appreciate it more than you know!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Therapist Recommendations?
marshmallowstar · 0 replies · 1855 views
Revisions
sauniee · 0 replies · 2805 views
Support
Lalaredd · 3 replies · 4019 views