Cigna 6 month diet?

Terri B.
on 6/3/03 4:12 am - Buxton, ME
I am at the very start of the process. I have had my appointment with my PCP who is refering me to a Bariatri Surgeon. I have my first classes with the hospital on July 9th. I have heard that Cigna could require a 6 month monitored weighloss program. I alos read from a member that this could consist of weekly visits to PCP for weight checks vs going to Weigh****chers ect.. Does anyone know this to be true? Also what exactly is the insurance co. looking for? Maintained weight or loosing weight? Any help at all would be welcomed.
Jo Ann B.
on 6/3/03 7:46 am - South Berwick, ME
Hi Terri, My Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Cobean, suggested that CIGNA was making this sort of a request lately, and I have been worried sick about it. I have had my initial consult with his group, and I have my second appointment soon, at which time I will be given my surgery date. I have been too fearful to phone CIGNA and ask them what their diet standards are - I am so afraid I might say the wrong thing and mess up my chances of approval. Isn't it sad how we are at the mercy of these insurance companies that we PAY big money to?! It's not like they do us favors, we PAY for their services! I did speak with my Primary Doctor, and she said since I have been seeing her and the Diabetic/Dietian Nurse Educator every three months for two years now, she would be happy to write me a letter. She asked me if I was worried though, since I have lost 20 pounds over that two year period... I told her though I was certainly glad I hadn't gained - losing at the rate of less than one pound a month - It would be another 120 + months before I was at a healthy weight! I have countless co-morbids and if they give me a stink about a supervised diet plan... I will be so depressed. I have my fingers crossed and am praying up a blue streak... for all of us. I hate being at the mercy of CIGNA. Good Luck!
Most Active