First steps? Canada to Mexico

coop1977
on 9/28/14 10:04 am - Canada

I am having a hard time waiting to find out if I even qualify for surgery here in Ontario as my BMI is just under 40 with no other issues.

I have done quite a bit of research and would like to consider Mexico ... Dr Ramos Kelly ... For RNY

Has anyone here gone with him for RNY ... I see lots of  Sleevers! 

Did you use a cordinator? 

Also how long from first contact till surgery? 

What was your pre-op diet like?  How many weeks?

how long was your hospital/hotel stay?

Did your companion stay at the hospital with you?

thanks so much!

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

Carmela V.
on 10/1/14 1:42 pm - Whitby, Canada
RNY on 01/30/15

Hi Janet,

I have not gone through Mexico but, my sister has.  Her surgery from Registration to surgery date was about 2 months.  She had a great experience and would recommend it to everyone.  The only thing she is having a hard time after almost 5 months is finding a dietician or any professional with experience on gastric bypass here in Ontario.  The only support she has is from her family doctor even though she is very supportive and is doing all she can to help, it is till not enough.  My sister is left with a lot of questions and no answers.  OH is fantastic but sometimes you need to talk to someone that will work with you.

Also, to answer some of your questions.  She was on protein shakes for 2 weeks pre op.  She was in the hospital for 2 days and then you get taken to the hotel where you stay for approx. 4 days.  Yes your companion can stay with you because they put you in a private room.  She was gone for one week.  She also had the Sleeve, which was exactly what she wanted. They did also offer the RNY.   She went to Tijuana, Mexico but I am not sure who her doctor was.  

Referral sent Mar. 28, 2014, Orientation July 10, 2014, Surgeon Consultation Sept. 12, 2014, Internist Dr. Glazier Oct. 6, 2014, Sleep Test Oct.17, 2014,  RD Nov. 24, 2014, SW Nov. 24, 2014, RN Nov. 24, 2014, Dr. Sohi (2nd appt.) Dec. 2, 2014, Dr. Glazier (2nd Appt.) Dec. 16, 2014, Surgery day  - HRRH Jan. 30, 2015. HW 309, Opti Starting Weight 305, SW 288, Operating Surgeon Dr. Starr

Mary C.
on 10/2/14 3:57 am, edited 10/2/14 3:58 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there - I see you haven't had many responses yet - so I'll chime in. My husband had VSG with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta in May of 2013. He had an excellent experience and has done very well. As for follow up - our family doctor has done blood work and he has had no complications - so no problem. I had RNY with Dr. Beausoloeil in New Brunswick in 2008. (After a 4 yr wait.) Again - our family doctor did my follow up blood work. I did have a complication a year later - no problem to be seen here in ER in Newfoundland - and I ended up in New Brunswick to repair an internal hernia. It probably could have been fixed here - but at the time there were no practicing bariatric surgeons in Newfoundland and I was not comfortable having someone open me up and trying to fix something that he/she might not have seen before. So I got myself on a plane somehow and went back to NB and saw my bariatric surgeon there - and had emergency open surgery to fix the problem. I was one sick puppy - but no regrets. My profile is public - so feel free to read my posts - there are lots there from my experience - and also following my husbands surgery. The Mexico experience was awesome and I only wish I had self paid and done it yrs ago rather than waiting 4 yrs. Good luck to you!

Mary

coop1977
on 10/2/14 7:29 am - Canada

Thanks for the replies!  

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 275 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 460 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics