Vitamins and Water Question

Salina
on 1/2/06 4:30 am - suburban, MI
I'm confused about what vitamins I should be taking right after I have my RNY (micropouch with Dr. Wood 1/31/06)..I hear about some people just taking a couple multi's a day and some taking many different kinds. I guess I'm just wondering what other micropouchers are taking and how their labs are? Should I buy the chewables? I want to buy mine asap so that I have everything I need in the house. I don't want to become vitamin deficient. I was also wondering if Crystal Light can be considered water or if I need to drink just plain water? I hear conflicting opinions about that as well. Thank You, Salina
Full of Life
on 1/2/06 8:01 am - Broken Arrow, OK
Salina - In the beginning you just take the water any way you can get it!!!! I counted my flavored waters!! Vitamins - there are soooo many on the market now!! Here's what I know to be good. GNC Iron Complete - You want "Ferrous Fumarate Iron" but only take iron if directed by your surgeon because you can become toxic from too much. If taking iron, take alone or with Vit. C ONLY - no other vitamins or the iron doesn't work. Iron can cause constapation. Vitalady.com sells "Gentle Iron" which she says doesn't cause constapation... so if that's a problem for you, you could try vitalady. Vitamin C - I use Spring Valley chewable from WalMart. Orange flavored and taste decent (to me anyway) Multivitamin - I take Centrum Chewables from WalMart. These are orange flavored too, but don't taste as well as the Vit. C Calcium - TAKE CALCIUM, you don't want to get bone and teeth problems. I take Citracal Plus with Magnesium and Vit D, I'm pretty sure I got this at WalMart too. Calcium NEEDS to be "calcium citrate" for us wls patients!! B Complex - I'm suggesting this only because if I HAD taken this I might have avoided a lot of the problems that I have now. Since we don't store vitamin B (it's water soluable, so we basically pee it out) it's safe to take. Most surgeons don't test Vitamin B1 and B6 levels on routine checks, so better to be safe then SICK!! B12 - I personally get the shots! But here you can get the sublingual tabs from GNC (cherry flavored) I've seen them at WalMart too. For the real brave, you can get your own needles and B12 and give your own injections (I'm NOT that brave)!! I am also taking zinc and a percription Folic acid (because of low levels). I take GNC's Hair, Skin & Nails as well, but don't notice a difference with taking it. Check with CORI about their suggestions FIRST!!!!! I think there's a spot in the handbook about vitamins, read up on it there too. Best of wishes on your wls journey!!!!! Laurie
Salina
on 1/2/06 10:29 am - suburban, MI
I will definitely check out what you have suggested Laurie, thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it Hugs, Salina
Most Active
Recent Topics