Update-not a happy one

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/06 11:40 am - Oak park, MI
Well, I have been avoiding posting an update as I do not have all that great of news. I have gotten a few emails asking how I was doing so I thought I would give you the good, bad, and ugly. The pain is getting better and I get around alot easier these days. I will be 4 weeks post op TT Friday. The swelling is just horrific, and not getting better. You would think the torrents of drainage I have coming from my belly button would lessen the swelling. I think not. The drainage keeps me home for the most part. I cannot leave the house fro any length of time. I can go to the store and back before having to change the pads. I am using expensive sanitary napkins it is so heavy. My doc swears this will stop though. I just got a reply from a guy on the PS forumn that said his is still draining after a year. I cannot even think like that. I am depressed now. I am ready to go job hunting, but cannot because of this. Hell, I can't even go to the show let alone work. It is wearing on me on ways you can't even imagine. I have bleeding sores on my belly from all of the tape and my skin is so sore I cannot wear my binder most days. I feel like the bride of frakenstein. My spirits are down and I have to take my pain meds at night to get myself calm enough to sleep. I cry alot and wish like hell it was 6 months from now. Standing over the sink watching your drainage pour into it while crying is not a life. This needs to get better soon before I lose it altogether. I wish I had better news to report. Physically I do feel better. I managed to walk a mile and a half on the treadmill which is a good step. I need to do that for my sanity right more than anything. Well, that's it for now. Terri
Theresa W.
on 1/11/06 11:58 am - Northern Lower, MI
Dang Terri! That's got to be awful...I feel for you for sure. I don't know what to tell you.... I would hope the Dr. knows what's normal for this with you, but it does sure sound like an awful lot of drainage. But, on the upside, if it needs to come out, then it's a good thing it is! I know it must be hard. Do you have any drains intact anymore? If you don't, maybe that is why you are "leaking" so much. I know you hate them, but maybe you need another one? I'm just guessing. I know your body does not like them though. Just hang in there as best you can...know that you can come here to vent....don't hesitate because you think you may "scare" someone...you need the support now! We love ya! Hugs, Theresa
Brenda_P
on 1/11/06 1:59 pm - Owosso, MI
Terri. Sorry that this is happening to you. You waited so long to get this done and now this. It just may take time to heal. I know that that drainage is a real bummer and sounds like it is quite a bit. I will pray that it will be a short term thing for you. We are hear to listen always. Brenda P.
Michele P
on 1/11/06 5:40 pm
Terri - I am so, so sorry that you are going through all of this. Please know you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. My best, Michele P
nico
on 1/11/06 8:45 pm - North of Detroit, MI
Terri, ((((HUGS)))) Thanks for your update. I'm so sorry things aren't going better. Why are you draining from your belly button? Is it a 'new' one or did your PS bring your old one up? That's great that you're getting some exercise...I'm dying to get back to the gym. Are you sure that's not making your swelling worse? I asked my PS if I could exercise (I'm 3 weeks out from my tt/arm lift) and he said absolutely not (not even light/moderate exercise) because it could (and will) increase my swelling. I really hope things improve for you soon. You are in my thoughts.... Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/06 10:14 pm - Oak park, MI
When did he say you could? My doc encourages me, but I felt really bloated all day yesterday. Maybe I will hold off. The BB is new. He said the fluid will work its way out if it can. Wel, it is.
nico
on 1/11/06 10:36 pm - North of Detroit, MI
He said nothing until 6 weeks out. I know that part of it is because of my arms. He said that the scar can spread if I start exercising too soon & also because of the swelling increase. Even though I'm not exercising now I do notice a different if I do more (i.e. laundry, lifting my 2 year old, general housework) - both my arms & stomach feel tighter. Believe me - it's not easy. I'm a hard core exerciser now. I really miss it (never thought I'd say that!). I do cardio & weight training. If I were you, I'd lay off the exercising - even if it's light exercising. It might help your swelling. However, don't just sit around (which I don't think you're doing!) - just take it easy & try not to overdo it. Again, thinking positive thoughts... Nicole
yvonne
on 1/11/06 9:26 pm - Livonia, MI
Terri: Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble, I sent up a prayer for you. Do you have any drain tubes still in? Have you been draining this much all along. I still have swelling and it gets uncomfortable at times. I have one drain tube left. I worry when they remove this one if I will start leaking for somewhere. Last time I leaked for almost 4 weeks, and the tape I used to hold on my bandage almost made my skin raw. Speaking of job hunting I also need to go look for a job ASAP, when I had my first surgery I was ready to go back to work when I lost my Job. After 8 years of working for this co I was very upset. Then I got a large hernia and knew I did not want to start a new job and need to take off a few months later to get it fixed, so I waited and now its repaired, and hopefully I also can start job hunting soon. Thats if everything goes good. Well I hope your recovery will improve and you will be out job hunting in no time, I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/06 10:19 pm - Oak park, MI
My body literally pushed them out. I lost the last one at 2.5 weeks. I was really only only a couple days shy of the 3 wk mark when they would have come out anyway. I did the same thing. I lost my job, got this done, and now I need to get back to work. I am stuck now though. This complication could keep me homebound for weeks yet. I have a ndentist appointment this morning. On top of being worried about leaking everywhere, I am concerned as this tooth has been the bane of my existance and I am worried what they are going to tell me this time. I slept in because I am just sick over the whole thing. This is the last thing I need. When it rains it pours.
blueeyedkate04
on 1/11/06 10:28 pm - Gaylord, MI
Terri, I'm so sorry that your drainage issues continue! I've been watching your posts and feeling for you, as I had a helluva time following my TT a year ago. It was the most horrible experience of my life and has deterred me from seeking further reconstructive surgery. I had drainage issues for about 8 - 10 weeks, and soreness/scar tissue issues for about 9 months. But, I'm happy to report, I am fully healed with no pain, drainage or swelling any more. At the suggestion of a friend, I increased my protein intake by 25 - 30 grams (just one more drink) to help my body heal. I feel it really helped me, and suggest you give it a shot. Within a couple days of beginning this, I felt alot stronger and was noticably better. Perhaps it could help you too. I know its hard to believe at this point, but you are healing and improving. A TT is very stressful surgery for your body, and drainage (supposedly) is healthy. Try to be positive and think about how great you're going to look in your summer clothes. Be patient!! Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics