All Michigan Support Groups -- let's make a list!

Pam T.
on 4/7/11 6:45 am, edited 4/7/11 6:58 am - Saginaw, MI
 Hi all!

Yesterday I had the privilage of meeting with 3 other support group leaders in the mid-Michigan area and I'm excited to start working with them on meetings and projects and maybe a field trip or two in the future. I wanted to share the information on all our meetings in case you weren't aware of them. But then as I was putting together the list of our four groups, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a list of ALL of the groups in Michigan so it will become a resource for us here on this forum. 

(Yeah, I know... me and my brilliant ideas.)

So I've gone back through several pages of our messages here and pulled the info I could find on other support groups. But I'm definitely missing some info. Which is where you come in. I need your help. 

I've split the lists into two different tables - one for peer-based groups and one for surgical-center groups. Send me the info you might have (either here in this thread or by PM if you prefer).  Once I get it all done I'll figure out how to make it something easy to repost here on the forum (or maybe OH will make it a sticky for us?) -- but then also figure out a way to let everyone download a copy of the files too.

Thanks for your help!

This is not a complete list but it's what I have so far.... I have a bunch more websites to comb through but wanted to get this up for your review and input as is.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

marymazilla
on 4/7/11 8:21 am - GARDEN CITY, MI
This is great stuff Pam
thanks for doing the extra mile. Realy kool

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Pam T.
on 4/7/11 1:43 pm - Saginaw, MI
 Thanks Mary. But do you have any information to share with me about support groups in your area? I'd really like us all to work together to build this resource for Michigan.

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

marymazilla
on 4/7/11 6:13 pm - GARDEN CITY, MI
 Sorry Pam, cant help. I was acutally looking for one in my area.
The only one I know of is a closed group
at the Henry Ford Center that meets in the William Clay Ford building located near the Main hospital in Detroit the second and forth Tuesday at 6pm each  month. It is only for patients of the HFH main campus in Detroit on West Grand BLVD. 
 They are a funny bunch when I had a link on my on line group, they told me to remove it cause they wanted to "CONTROL" who joined it. Then I was excommunicated from the group because I participated with the OH.com groups.
I personally felt that they acted like no one was capable of having any knowledge or any thing unless they contributed it. Then treated (flamed) me because of it. So I stopped paticipating in their group.  They seem intimidated if God forbid anyone brought new information to the group. Even if it came from the American Bariatric Society report, which, the HFH Bariactric department is an active member just like HFH baraictric program belongs to  OH.com site too. Go figure.
Please Understand the Bariatric Surgery Department and Drs. are wonderful. but the support group needs to grow!

So I am very interested in what other groups might be in my area!

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Pam T.
on 4/7/11 11:01 pm - Saginaw, MI
 Mary 

Thanks for the info. I'm going to add them to my list anyway and just make a special note that it is only open to patients and if they want information they can call the office. Unfortunately I've found that people don't even know the details of their own surgeon's support groups or even that they exist. So just making other HF patients aware there is a group is important I think. I won't publish the details of their meeting schedule, but I can at least put their office number and tell their patients to call.

Pam

marymazilla
on 4/8/11 10:16 am - GARDEN CITY, MI
the group is not for all of HFH bariatric patients only for the ones that had surgery at the HFH main campus on West Grand Blvd. That was the issue with them they didn't want patients from  Wyndote and other HFH locations to come to there meetings. So you need to be specific about it. or call and talk to Annette at that particular center and get permission first. I was like you and thought it would be a no big deal but the took offense to the link!

So Good Luck.

Pam T.
on 4/8/11 11:05 am - Saginaw, MI
okie dokie.

boxermom
on 4/7/11 9:47 pm - MI
Mary-

IT WAS ME!!  Since I joined the group [not a patient] and went to your Awards Ceromony, I caused them to be more selective!!!

oopsy!

bm
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Dawnie 88
on 4/8/11 12:19 am
Thanks for doing this!

I am beginning the one for the Ionia area. 

My name is Dawn Kramer..my email is [email protected]

I had planned for the first meeting on the 19th of this month, but forgot about my son's spring program that evening and my other son needing to be taken to drivers training *sigh*

So I am planning the first meeting for the first Tuesday of May, from 5-6pm.  Will ask what people prefer, but probably will do once a month,especially during summer months.

Pam T.
on 4/8/11 11:07 am - Saginaw, MI
 Excellent Dawn! I'll get your info updated on my chart. If you need any help as you begin your group just holler ... When I took over the Bay City group a couple years ago we were down to about 4 or 5 members and now we've grown to almost 60, so I'd be happy to share some of the info I've learned over the years. 

Most Active
Recent Topics