Journeys

msharp
on 5/29/12 11:47 am - Holland, MI
VSG on 02/29/12
So I started my journey Feb 29,  I was sleeved.  It  has been  a learning  experience.  Learning how  to  slow  down  eating,  and  figure out  when  full  and  when  overfull.   I  do  good  for  a  week  or  so  and  then  I  have  a  day like  today,  seems  like  everything  I  eat   comes up.  I  eat  to  fast.  and then  feels  almost  stuck.   But  I  am  learning.  LOL  the  hard  way.    One of  my  friends  had  RNY  and  seems  to  have  less  issues  then  me.  '
Do  any of  you  have  this  issue,  of  eating  to  fast,  and not  sure  when  to  stop eating.  Some days  I  can  eat  2 to 3  bites,  and  others  feel like  could  eat  allot.   Then  there  are  the  slider  things   that  just  go  down  way  to  easy.   Today  had big  issues  with  tummy  hurting  most  of  day.   Big  time  gas  not  moving felt  like  just  woke up  from  surgery.  Was  ruff  for  while  at  work.   So  bad  on pills.   Well   decided  i  was   going  to  start  posting to  this  site,  being  I  am  a  native  of  the  great  state  of  Michigan    How is  everyone  Else's  journey?

Mary

marymazilla
on 5/29/12 12:55 pm - GARDEN CITY, MI
Hi I am an RNYer cant say anything about the sleeve but I can tell you that we all must lern our tools and their personalities.
mine is finicky and acts about like your sleve. And i had surgery in 2009. Still I have days that i am not certian what to expect

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Brandi Girl
on 5/29/12 9:23 pm
WLS on 10/18/11
 Hi, my surgery was different than most as it is fairly new. But I have found that some days I have hunger that doesnt seem to end while other days I am forcing myself to eat. Not sure if it is really just 'head' hunger or not, or just what 'normal' people always deal with. Before surgery I never let myself even get hungry! I was always eating and eating way to fast! This is something I am still working on as well. The one thing I have learned and been able to stick with pretty well is to not drink with meals. I notice that I stay fuller MUCH longer if I dont drink while I eat. Seems the liquid washes the food out of my stomach if I do. I am been lucky to not have any pain or vomiting (so far, fingers crossed) and hope it stays that way. Sorry you have those issues! Glad you started posting here as well. I also just decided 'what the heck' Im gonna post.

msharp
on 5/30/12 6:26 pm - Holland, MI
VSG on 02/29/12
Glad  I  am only one  not  eating  to  fast.  I  have my  daughter  who is special needs, now older  but  believe  me  22 years of  shoveling  in  my  food,   She  would  eat  a few  bite  and  off  and  I always  needed  to  follow.  So  trained  myself  for  22 years,  to shovel.  And hard  habit  to  try  and  slow  down.  I know  if  I  am  not  really thinking  about.  I  will  eat  something  like  cheese  stick  and  down  it  in  4/5 bites  and  then  have  this  big  pain.   I  figure  time  to  get this  board  moving.  lol   Figure  even  if  everyday  dribble ,   laughing  someone  will  read  and  listen.  

Mary

boxermom
on 5/30/12 1:36 am - MI
I remember those days, seems like a lifetime ago.  but it doesn't take much for me to remember when I ate too much or too fast.  I get sick.  and it hurts.  I still have to remind myself 5 yrs out to take small bites and eat slow.  just remember to do that.  I cant attest to having less issue than a sleever but everyone is different.  its all a learning curve.  for the longest time i never felt hunger.  now i feel hunger and i tend to graze.  try to get 5 mins of walking in after you eat just to move the gas around... break your pills in half.

thanks for posting.  its good to see what newbies are going thru and i hope we can assist.

bm

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

msharp
on 5/30/12 6:33 pm - Holland, MI
VSG on 02/29/12
5 years.  gosh  I  cann't  even  think  that  far out. LOL   So  tell me,  do  you  still  feel the  same  as  first  year  of  surgery.  I  am  sure  can  eat  bigger  amount  if  you  pushed.  Did  you reach your  goal?   Guess  should  go  read  your  blog.  LOL   I  will  big  smile.   The  gas  thing  has  been  terrible  last  few  days  for  me.  Like  all  trapped  in  tummy.  Not  sure  what  is  going  on  was  fine now  seems  like  everything  giving  me  gas.   I  eat  protein  bar  for  breakfast  usually on  the  run  for  work.  Then  turkey  stick  and  cheese  stick  at  first  breaks,  then  beef  jerkey  and  cottage  cheese  for  lunch.  (For  me  safe  for  lunch  usually  don't  throw  up  then,  although  haft  to  watch  turkey  stick  if  eat  to  fast,   comes  up.   Dinner  has  been  chicken  and  been  fine  with  until  last  few  days,  get  4  bites  in  and  feeling  pain / stuck.  then  done. for  day.   I  am  trying  to  push  more  fluids.  I  drink  about  1  1/2  of  water  in  day,  get  busy  at  work  and  don't like  when  warm.   tummy  does not  like  it  either.   I  drink  about  2  glasses  at  home.   Boy  it  is  learning  all  the  time.    I  will  be  picking  all  you  knowledge  as  I  progress.   Thanks.

Mary

boxermom
on 5/30/12 11:07 pm - MI
On May 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM Pacific Time, msharp wrote:
5 years.  gosh  I  cann't  even  think  that  far out. LOL   So  tell me,  do  you  still  feel the  same  as  first  year  of  surgery.  I  am  sure  can  eat  bigger  amount  if  you  pushed.  Did  you reach your  goal?   Guess  should  go  read  your  blog.  LOL   I  will  big  smile.   The  gas  thing  has  been  terrible  last  few  days  for  me.  Like  all  trapped  in  tummy.  Not  sure  what  is  going  on  was  fine now  seems  like  everything  giving  me  gas.   I  eat  protein  bar  for  breakfast  usually on  the  run  for  work.  Then  turkey  stick  and  cheese  stick  at  first  breaks,  then  beef  jerkey  and  cottage  cheese  for  lunch.  (For  me  safe  for  lunch  usually  don't  throw  up  then,  although  haft  to  watch  turkey  stick  if  eat  to  fast,   comes  up.   Dinner  has  been  chicken  and  been  fine  with  until  last  few  days,  get  4  bites  in  and  feeling  pain / stuck.  then  done. for  day.   I  am  trying  to  push  more  fluids.  I  drink  about  1  1/2  of  water  in  day,  get  busy  at  work  and  don't like  when  warm.   tummy  does not  like  it  either.   I  drink  about  2  glasses  at  home.   Boy  it  is  learning  all  the  time.    I  will  be  picking  all  you  knowledge  as  I  progress.   Thanks.
Well, the first and second yr all you can think about is all things WLS.  it becomes your life and all consuming.  by the third yr, normalcy sets in and all the other stressors and you get back to the reality of living life.

yup, i can eat a lot more now, as my pouch has stretched though my stoma seems in tact since i am limited to small bites.  My gas is worse if I eat more carbs.  The meats you eat are better if they are cooked in broth for hours at a time, to tenderize them.  like your chicken, maybe try them in cream of mush soup or crm of chicken soup for a couple of hrs in the oven or crock pot with veggies. 

your snacks and meals are great.  very good choices.  they get very boring quickly.  you will want to look up low carb meals on the Internet soon for variety.  cott chz and jerky can only go so far.  i know from experience.  though i can still do chili everyday!  and BACON!

bm

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

AdeanaMarie
on 5/30/12 5:22 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
I honestly do not have many issues with food coming back up. I make sure I chew everything really good, but sometimes I do eat too fast and I feel a tightness. Sometimes I get hiccups if I eat too fast as well. As far as volume. I measure everything and write everything down. These are the portion sizes I am able to eat for an average day. I never push my sleeve. I listen and if I need to, I stop before I finish what is on my plate, but I do not eat more that that. The couple times I have ate one too many bites, I feel like I have heartburn and it is so not worth the pain.

B: 16 oz protein drink 180c/31P this takes me 2 hours to drink
L: 1 light cheese stick 60c/8P and 2 pieces of turkey bacon 50c/4P
S: Vanilla Greek Yogurt 5 oz size, 130c/12P
D: 1 1/2 oz chicken breast 75c/12P with 1/4c lowfat cottage cheese 40c/6P
S: 2 oz beef patty 95c/14P and Protein Chips 1oz 130c/10P

760 calories
97 Grams Protein

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

msharp
on 5/30/12 11:08 am - Holland, MI
VSG on 02/29/12
Thanks  so  much  for  the  menu  idea,  it  is  very helpful.  I  need  to  start  keeping  track. Your  a  big  help. :)

Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics