Surgery in 2006

Gretchen N.
on 4/25/11 6:56 am - Bloomington, MN
I haven't been here for a long time - I had my surgery 5 years ago yesterday.  What a few years has done - I did real good at first and got to my goal weight within 1 year, and I loved it.  Then came some unexpected family deaths (including my mother) and that made me not eat at all -  then menopause hit and I couldn't get enough food and now I have been diagnosed with celiac's disease.  I have gained 58 pounds back from the 145 I lost and I'm feeling so bad.  I just can't seem to get back in the swing of things.  I am relearning how to eat without most carbs outside vegies and fruit.  I need some encouragement - I very rarely ask for it but I think it's time.  Anyone out there that can help please do!  I want to stop beating myself up once and for all.  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 7:47 am - Clear Lake, MN
Gretchen,

1st off, HUGS......

I'm a little over 3 years out myself.....I've also gained some weight back....The more people I meet the more I see a trend....Weight gain.....We all go through life and hardships....And it seems we gain the weight back...

Just know what I've been told, We have our tool, we just need to use it...And be mindful of what we put in our mouths....I've been trying to go "Back to the basics." Protein 1st, no drinking with meals or before or after for 30 minutes....Support groups and exercise I feel are key in this journey......Also journaling what you eat and when.....

Have you contacted your Bariatric doctor or nurse? If not, maybe that would be a good place to start.....They are there to help us....:)

Do you like protein shakes? I have a ton of recipes I'd be willing to share if you do...

Hang in there.....Good luck, Kelly

Edi P.
on 4/26/11 10:25 am - Zellwood, FL
Hi Gretchen,

First, happy surgiversary, and second, congratulations on being down 87 pounds.

I too had my surgery in 2006...June 6th, is my five year.  Like you I've gained back weight, 43 pounds to be exact.  My original loss was 175 pounds.  I never hit goal either.  It's heart breaking.  We go through all those programs, follow the rules, lose our weight, start feeling comfortable and confident and then life hits us.  Emotional eating has always been my challenge and just the plain fact....I love food.

I was just talking to my psyche about it...where's the support for us now?  What do we do?  How do we start the process again...how DO we eat to lose again?  She specialized in WLS patients and she says she's heard this lament time and time again.  She also said that we learn how to eat protein while we're in our first year, that glorious year where the weight falls off almost magically, and then things change....Our body gets used to that eating style and likes it, but then we feel we can introduce simply carbs back into our diet and your know those nasty carbs...they just make us crave more and before you know it....hooked!  And putting back the weight.  Alcohol is also a nasty little bugger, as it really gets into our system and makes us crave more.  My diet turned to 80% carbs and alcohol and 20% everything else.

Time to stop the madness.  Your weight gain, my weight gain, well, it what it is.  No use beating ourselves up over it, we made the choices, we knew the consequences, so let's be proud of our remaining success and make changes again.

I believe you're in the right direction...protien first.  Listen to your pouch, eat slower.  I started my kick the carb habit by going a two day protien shake only cleansing.  It worked.  Then I started protien only, just like you, and recently introduced fruit and veggies, but only AFTER I eat my protein.  And I walk for exercise, because at this stage in our journey....it's calories in, exercise to get rid of them.  Oh, and drink, drink, drink....and not a Blue Moon beer, which was becoming my best friend.  Water cleanses and keeps things moving.

I'm sorry for your family loses and,  well, menapause is just plain wrong!  I've been blessed and not had to deal with either (and yes, I did go through it, it just wasn't a big deal for me, thank goodness), but I do struggle with depression and that can really mess up a persons will-power. 

I think you're making wonderful strides by reaching out, formulating a plan and working on it.  I'd also encourage you to go to support groups, whether it's at the hospital, or coffee groups....it's great for that motivational boost we all need, especially at this stage.

You have the tool, you have the knowledge, and you have my support and encouragement.  You can make a change Gretchen, and be healthy again.

Edi

Highest:  349
Lowest:  175
Surgeon's Goal:  189
My Goal:  A healtier happier me!! 

2014 update...regained but haven't lost faith.

Yelena K.
on 4/26/11 11:07 am - Plymouth, MN
 Good job on your weight loss, first off. Don't forget that you've still lost a LOT of weight and be proud of that!!!! 

Keep coming here for support, read a lot of posts all over OH and keep reaching out for support! Go to support groups and get back on track!

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

finallymeafterall2008
on 4/29/11 5:02 am - mankato, MN

It is how I am feeling. I am almost three years out in Aug. I got down to 139 and now am at 165. I feel like I do not want to live. I feel like a failure..... my surgery was 8/12/2008

Gretchen N.
on 4/29/11 7:25 am - Bloomington, MN
I don't think we are failures - I think we are what the norm is.  I have heard from several individuals that say the same - gained after a few years even not doing anything different.  I just want to be like I was.  I think if I had it to do over again I wouldn't.  It was great for a year or so but then it goes away.  I don't know if I would recommend this to anyone - I would like to discuss this more but I am on my way out.  Let me know how you feel and we can discuss our issues.  Take care and one thing I know for sure is that life is very great living and not good trying other alternatives.

LAP Revision 4/24/06

256.5/128

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1486 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1183 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2654 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2727 views