New to web site

Kitty_mom
on 5/29/07 1:56 pm - New Maryland, Canada
My family doctor referred me to Dr. B over 2 years ago and I have not hear a word from his office. Is this usual? I have heard there is an age cut-off beyond which they will not approve you for surgery. Is this true? I am 53 and I have seen the age of 55 mentioned in some clinic web sites, so am I wasting my time waiting for Dr. B? I have looked at clinics in Canada, the US, and Mexico. I would have to go the cheapist route but I worry about safety. Any advice?
viscountess
on 5/30/07 2:00 am - stellarton, Canada
hi my name is jacqueline yes there is a wait to hear from the doctor and as for age i don`t know for sure so i won`t answer that a word of advise don`t go to mexico i went to a seminar in the usa the doctor i spoke to recomend Dr B very highly he also warned us that in mexico there is no way to protect your self if you get a bad doctor you can`t sue them if they screw up and most doctors will tell you if you have surgery out side of canada and anything goes wrong you may be out of luck as doctors here won`t be to willing to help you good luck jacqueline
Kitty_mom
on 5/30/07 11:05 am - New Maryland, Canada
Thanks for the good advise. I think you are right about Mexico. I have been told that India is a better choice because you are likely to get British trained doctors. I am not a good surgery canditate at the moment anyway. I have severe anemia and I have been (almost literally) turned inside out as my doctor searches for a cause. I won't mention that! Thanks again Charline
LoriM
on 5/30/07 5:28 am - Fredericton, Canada
Hi, Yes I was told there was a cut off age of 55 when I was there. I waited a long time to get to see Dr B the first time, but when I thought it was getting a little too long I called. And actually they had lost my information. So it was a good thing to check. But I have heard there is a long long long wait list. Call and they will tell you what number you are on the list, then you can have an idea if you are coming up soon or not. And I would mention how old you are...never know if it may make a difference or not. Try it!!!
Kitty_mom
on 5/30/07 11:13 am - New Maryland, Canada
Thanks for the good advise. I will call the office and mentioned my age. I did sent an e-mail to an address that was posted on this site. but have not received an answer yet. I have heard of people's information not being passed from one surgeon to the replacement surgeon. As if the wait isn't long enough as it is. I think you are right about Mexico. I have been told that India is a better choice because you are likely to get British trained doctors. i am not a good surgery canditate at the moment anyway. I have severe anemia. I am worried that I won't ever have the surgery. thanks for the info Charline
Kitty_mom
on 5/31/07 9:53 am - New Maryland, Canada
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for advising me to call the office. I should have done it ages ago!! The most important thing I foind outis that the internist that saw me should have applied to Medicare on my behalf; he may have but she told me that lots of Dr's don't know this. No one has ever told me this. I wonder if my GP even knows. She told me that she has not had one patient have the surgery. If she does not know, then it may be the reason. I also learned that I have to pay for the lap-band devise! :-( $4500.00 :-( On the up side, if i am refused by Medicare, Dr B does private work and it does not cost any more than Mexico and less that the US by a bunch. Finally i learned that there isn't a cut off age for lap-band surgery. If i forgot to mention it- THANK YOU!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1079 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1944 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1789 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1786 views