Help: Liquids vs Protein 10 weeks out

ErikaS
on 7/3/13 10:57 pm - Fredericton, NB, Canada

My details:

• 10 weeks post VSG (April 23rd)
  • Can eat 2.5 - 3oz of lean protein at a time (max!) less if I want to add something crazy like a vegetable (ie: spinach)
  • Take at least 20 minutes to eat a snack (string cheese or yogurt) and at least 30 minutes for meals
  • Had no problem getting 60-70g of protein and 1L - 1.5L a day (with a protein shake of course) for weeks
  • Had no complications with surgery and recovery
  • New stomach is sensitive to carbs (so not eating those) and milk. Yogurt/cheese is ok.
  • Get all my vitamins in daily
  • Not drinking with meals. And I have to wait at least 30 minutes after a meal before I can even look at drinking something else.

So here's my problem: I'm at a stage where I can either (a) get 1-1.5L of water a day or (b) 60-70g of protein...not both. My stomach just can't handle it! I feel physically ill when I try and do both and there are only so many hours in the day! Did anyone else encounter this? What did you do?

The past few days I've also been feeling sick to my stomach come mid-afternoon. And I'm talking ill enough that I can't do anything but go home and lie down which means no gym and definitely no eating. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input!

Erika

jjwbuster
on 7/4/13 10:29 am - Saint John, Canada
OMG I just had my first 6 week follow up and am having the same problem. The surgeon told me that a few of his patients have a tighter sleeve (not by a smaller bougie). I was advised to try eating smaller amounts every 2 hours and have some gatorade g2 everyday.

referral sent March 2009/ Approval signed March 2013/Surgery May 2013

HW: 404  Pre OP Liquid: 375   SW: 349   CW: 271

ErikaS
on 7/5/13 7:53 am - Fredericton, NB, Canada

At least I'm not the only one! I have insane tightness when it's that time of the month but that only lasts a few days. This latest tightness has been going on for almost a week and I'm not due for my TOM for another few weeks. Talk about aggravating!

So they want you to focus more on protein by eating every 2 hours? What's the Gatorade for?

jjwbuster
on 7/6/13 12:27 am - Saint John, Canada

Eating every 2 hours with smaller quantities so that I am not as uncomfortable when I eat. Suzanne (Dietician) actually wanted me to add more carbs. 

The gatorade is because I am getting dehydrated right now. 

Just an FYI for everyone: homemade gatorade is 1 large bottle of water, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/2 tsp salt.

referral sent March 2009/ Approval signed March 2013/Surgery May 2013

HW: 404  Pre OP Liquid: 375   SW: 349   CW: 271

Vanessa D.
on 7/8/13 5:01 am
VSG on 04/18/12

I had to start taking something for my stomach around week 8. Tecta is what was prescribed. It settled my stomach so i did not get that awful feeling and could start upping the liquids again. If you are already taking something for stomach acid i would def check with your doctor . 

ErikaS
on 7/8/13 8:23 am - Fredericton, NB, Canada

Thanks for the feedback. I am on tecta and have been since surgery so it's not acid. I spoke with my nutritionist today and she recommended reducing the portion sizes of what I'm eating to get both water and food in. She wants me to try this for a week and see if it helps any so I'll see what happens.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1071 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1931 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1781 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1778 views