OMG the type of surgery bashing....

Proudtobaloser
on 7/14/11 4:31 am - Fayetteville, NC
Ok I am really disgusted at how quite a few people are bashing on others for their choice of surgery. I haven't listed what I am getting yet because A. I am fencing it right now and B. I do not think my choice of surgery should be questioned by someone who is NOT me. Am I wrong in thinking this?  What really is sad is when someone states what they are having you have like 12 people jump out of the woodwork and they jump on the poor person. They tell the poster that he or she is going to regret it or they say oh you are going to have this problem and this problem and you won't succeed. This is NOT what a person needs to hear. I am all for making a person aware but not in an aggressive and nasty way of just being negative about things. To be honest there is no ENOUGH research out there on ALOT of things. The small amount of people who have issues are the ones that are made into poster children. What about the successes? Drives me crazy. I have gotten to the point where I refuse to open up any post that has a type of surgery in the header, because I know darn well the nasties will be nailing on it.

Sorry for the rant.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

shoutjoy
on 7/14/11 8:01 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I agree some folks are very imature.  The choice is definitely a personal one.  Hang in there.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Proudtobaloser
on 7/15/11 3:46 am - Fayetteville, NC
Yea I know I should be tolerating it but I just want to rip a few peoples' heads off because they are posting "facts' I looked into most of the "facts" they are touting and they are not facts at ll, just research that is being done and some preliminary findings.

"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

TamaraL
on 7/17/11 7:32 am
I do understand where you are coming from. Only you can make the decision what surgery is best for you.

I originally had the lap band.  Had major complications with my esophagus and the band.  When I decided to revise to the bypass I posted frequently about my surgery. Never had any negative post then 2 days before my surgery I had people who had duodenal switch post that I needed to look into the DS surgery and I was going to fail with the RNY.  I was devastated.  I blocked those people and never looked back.  I made the best choice for me!!!

i only weighed  218 when I had the bypass and there was no way my insurance was going to approve me for the DS and my insurance doesn't cover the sleeve yet. 

Proudtobaloser
on 7/17/11 8:11 am - Fayetteville, NC
I just feel that I know what is right for me. I am not one to bash on other surgeries but when they go around telling people they are going to fail that is (excuse me here) BULL**** THat is sabotage in its crudest form. I do not want certain surgeries for MY own reasons, not because someone says this one is going to work and that one will fail. TO be hoinest I am not gunna want a surgery that MANY people out there are saying is FAIL proof because I for one will be one of the first people who calls them on it and tells them to go wipe their butts cuz they are full of it.

heazer
on 7/28/11 5:52 am - Cary, NC
Totally agree!  In fact, there's so much negativity on here that I hesitate to post ANYTHING.  lol  I do a lot of lurking and reading to filter out the worthwhile posts.  I agree that it's a personal choice.  If you make a wrong decision, well it's your decision to make.  I also see people complaining about people not knowing enough about their surgeries.  I thought that one of the purposes of this board was for people to use it as a tool to talk to other people so they could find more information.

The saddest part is that most of these people are veterans of the board and/or weightloss surgery.  They have so much information to share with us all, but some people just don't have people skills and express themselves in a manner that's off putting.  When people act that way, it discredits everything they say from my perspective. 

"why are you letting your surgeon treat you like a ginuea pig", "that surgery is just plain butchery", "you're clueless", etc.

This board is a convenient source of information, but sometimes only the squeeky wheels can be heard.  lol  There are a lot of super friendly and supportive people on here that can give you the "bad" news while not slaughtering your feelings. 

I have developed a philosophy on this board.  I see people bashing other surgeries, making statements like "there are loads of people with that surgery having revisions, or that regret their decision".  My take is that if there are 200 lapband/rny/sleeve patients on this board, and 150 of them are unhappy or unsuccessful with their surgery....does that really mean that 3/4ths of the that surgery type are unsuccessful?  Bashers sure try to push that belief.  Based on the number of people in real life that I know and see being successful with their weightloss surgery of choice I am of the opinion that there are lots of people not on this board...just happy, living their new lives.  lol 

Some people come back to the board after surgery to connect, stay informed, and offer suggestions.  Some people come back because they are unhappy or had a bad experience and want to warn people.  Both are good intentions, but sometimes people are so consumed and passionate about their experience that it just comes out badly.  I try not to think badly of them.  I appreciate their willingness to share their trauma as a warning to others of what could happen...but like you I just wish they could take a deep breath before they posted! 
orangecrushed
on 7/28/11 9:15 am - Triad, NC
Anytime you're dealing with different personalities, you have to take it with a grain of salt.  At first, i was pretty unhappy that people were so-called 'bashing' other surgeries... but it was mostly because I *really* had my mind sent on one thing, and didn't want my confidence shaken at all.

I'm so, so glad that they were persistent.  I've become far more informed now than I was... and I made my decision based on my own findings, not the opinions of others.  Extra information doesn't hurt when you're jumping into something this major.  There are some things my surgeon just didn't tell me... and because of this board, I have changed surgeons and gotten more complete information.

So, I know it can seem annoying, but I'm really happy they post these things.  Otherwise, I think I'd be living with regret down the road.

Just my two cents. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 589 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1626 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1311 views
Raleigh area doctors