Duke Surgeons

wendy S.
on 1/16/12 12:32 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Hello Everyone.  I am considering RNY.  I'm looking at Duke and met a lady the other day that said I should be careful with Duke.  I haven't found anything really bad with them from researching.  Things I've found seem to happen anywhere.  Does anyone have any pros/cons of using Duke.  Also, who are the surgeons there that you'd recommend for an RNY.  Thanks so much! 
bubbylucy
on 1/17/12 12:56 am - Raleigh, NC
I had surgery 2 years ago with Duke. My surgeon was wonderful and still sees me every visit. Dr Torquati. I did have a complication of a stricture, which was three months of HELL but I would do this all over again every year if I had to. Dr Torquati id the BOMB.

Audra

Barbara C.
on 1/17/12 2:00 am - Raleigh, NC

She's probably referring to Duke Durham because they are notorious for having front office issues. That said, if you keep good records and are respectfully persistent with them, even that issue is manageable. Their medical team is absolutely top notch. I have worked with both the Duke Durham and the Duke Raleigh teams. Duke Raleigh is a smaller, more intimate program, so if you want a smaller, more intimate experience, that might be the way to go. Either way, you are not going to have a technically or medically inferior experience with either program. 

All of the surgeon's are well versed with the RNY, so I think you'll be in good hands with any of the surgeons. At Duke Durham, I particularly like Dr. Dana Portenier; he did my husband's surgery and he's not only technically competent, but he's wonderful at communicating. If I had to choose someone from the program, I would choose him, but that is totally from a personal perspective. I also have met with and Dr. Jin Yoo at that the Duke Raleigh office and I am very, very comfortable with him as well. That said, all of the surgeon's are all very competent and are all well versed with the RNY. 

If you want to meet the various surgeons, you might try going to the seminars on different days to hear them speak. You might even be able to call the office to find out who is hosting the seminars. You could explain that you want to hear the different surgeons speak. I'm sure that they would be willing to work with you. 

Generally speaking, when you are approved for your surgery, you are automatically slotted with the next available surgeon, but are also able to request the next available slot with the surgeon of your choice; that's what I did.

If you have specific concerns that you'd like addressed, please let me know and I'll do my best to do so.

Wishing you all the best, 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Kim2011
on 1/17/12 5:28 am - NC
I had my RNY at Duke Raleigh in Nov. I started the process in the middle of Sept. and had surgery Nov. 21 so everything was done really quick. I did exeperience some miscommunication issues but it was all sorted out and I am very happy with the overall experience! I was denied at first (this is where the communication issue happened) but I called them everyday (twice a day at times****il things were sorted out. They have a great follow up program and everyone is really nice. I have even had some nausau issues and allery issues and I emailed Dr. Yoo's assistant Erica on both occassions and she faxed some medicine in to the pharamcy for me. I am happy with Duke and I would reccomend them. Good luck! :-)

Sherri_G
on 1/17/12 5:50 am - NC
I have used the Duke Weight Loss Center 919 470-7000 and have had a wonderful experience.  Dr. Sudan and his staff have taken very good care of me.  I haven't had to do much at all.   I will have my surgery next week and the hardest part so far was waiting for my insurance to approve the surgery. 

PS - Dr. Sudan does the Duodenal Switch surgery - no one else at Duke does it from what I understand. 

Good Luck. 

Sherri
Durham, NC
Duke University Medical Center

heazer
on 1/20/12 2:20 am - Cary, NC
 I would also recommend Duke for weightloss surgery.  I attended the seminar in Durham, but was assigned to Dr. Yoo at Duke Raleigh.  He and his staff are tremendous at what they do.  I have no compaints, and they are always available via email for a quick response.
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 582 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1618 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1306 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1646 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2677 views