Still not getting better...

Shantybell
on 4/21/12 4:56 pm - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 03/05/12
I'm now 1 week post op from my gallbladder removal and I still feel like crud. I was discharged on Sunday and I had to go back to work because I am precepting on the floor I work as student for nursing school. I'm required to do 120 hours during the month of April and if I don't complete these hours, I wont graduate next month. I've got 4 more days to go and then the hours will be done. I hope I make it that long. I'm severely dehydrated. I can't keep anything down without becoming nauseous and dry heaving since surgery. Plus I've had diarrhea, which isn't helping. I know I need to go back to the doctor but I'm so concerned about gettting these hours done and graduating nursing school. My husband and family are very concerned but they know that I'm adamant about finishing. I have to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow night and then I have 3 days off before I finish my last 3 days of the school hours I need. I'm hoping I can go to the infusion center during those 3 days off to get fluids to get me well enough to finish the 3 days. I'm taking pain medication while I"m at home but I can't take it here at the hospital because it makes me too drowsy. I often wonder if this whole thing was a mistake. I'm so tired of being sick and weak. I wasn't even this bad off at my highest weight.  I hope one day I can look back on this and say, "yeah it sucked but it's totally worth it today."

Shannon
HW: 251   SW: 249.8  CW: 197.2  GW: 135

shoutjoy
on 4/21/12 9:16 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I can understand your concern.  I can't believe the school won't work with you, a medical school for crying out loud. Do they know how sick you are?  Do they care?  Girl, your health is primary.  Please get some help.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Barbara C.
on 4/22/12 12:32 pm - Raleigh, NC

Shannon,

I hear how incredibly hard this is for you and I think you do need to do what you can do to ensure that you are as hydrated as possible. I don't know if is anything else might help with the nausea.  Keep sipping constantly if you can.

You are having a much harder time than normal because of having to recover from the second surgery.  Most people do not have to endure a second surgery and a grueling schedule. If you can work with your administration to let them know what is happening as you work to getting in your requisite hours, maybe that will help some. 

Please, please do take care of yourself. I don't think it's a case of the surgery being a bad idea, but the timing associated with gallbladder attacks and associated surgery have really complicated things for you. 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 593 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1630 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1314 views