Hello, 11 years Post RNY Looking for Support and Hopfully Dental Info

Buttrflygrl617
on 1/1/13 7:03 am - NC

Hello to all from Raleigh/Durham area. I had my surgery April 2002 by Dr. Grant at Duke. I started at 382 and lost a max 215lbs to weigh my least, 170lbs before having 2 miracle sons in 2004 and 2006. I am now 45 years old and up & down about 30lbs and usually 190-220lbs now that I am 11years out. I was sick alot the first couple of years and now I am having issues with edema, anemia, candida and severe dental abscesses/tooth loss. I have learned the hard way....take your vitamins & supplements! Not only that please see your dentist regularly. I have been reading that there are many of us that are experiencing the same tooth loss and breaking at the gum line so I am hoping that someone here can direct me to a NC Dentist that is familiar with WLS/RNY post op's and can help me save what few teeth I have left. I have spent a small fortune on root canals and crowns which have started to just break off anyway. This is causing me severe depression and anxiety just thinking I went through all the pain and sickness to look and feel like a woman again just to be forced to live without being able to smile or having to live self conscious of having dentures. I would really like to hear from others that are going through similar or that has found a miracle dentist that is willing to work with us who are sick from dental issues. It's true what they say about your overall health beginning with your teeth. When your teeth are infected, it affects your entire body and immune system. I look forward to meeting some of you and hope my spirits can get better in time here.

Thanks to all *****ad!

Barbara C.
on 1/1/13 11:50 am - Raleigh, NC

I don't personally know of any dentists that specialize in WLS patients, but I will try to send out feelers to the local Bariatric medical community to see what I can find out.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

kilmarlic
on 1/2/13 3:08 am - powells point, NC

I've had some major tooth loss in the past couple of years. I've been very good about taking my vitamins and supplements and having my labs checked at least yearly. The only thing that was ever off was my Vitamin D tends to run low. Now that I take a D3 supplement along with my multivitamin and try and get some sunshine on a more regular basis in the off season I seem to be running more regular.  

I've lost enough teeth now that I'm self-conscious on my smile and will probably be doing  a partial in the very near future. My dentist is hesitant to say that it was caused by my bypass surgery as I had HORRIBLE baby teeth and gum problems prior to surgery. I strongly believe there's a valid link there.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 587 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1625 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1308 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1652 views
NC Forum