Dr. Anthone pre-op diet?

looking4loss
on 10/17/09 1:40 pm - Overton, NE
Just wondering if anyone can give me an insignt on what type of pre-op diet Dr. Anthone or Dr. Winterstein require.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but I am curious about it...
Felicia S.
on 10/17/09 4:52 pm - Lincoln, NE
There was no preop diet required.  We had to eat breakfast the day before, a light lunch, and then liquids for the rest of the night and nothing to eat or drink after midnight.  Around 1 p.m. the day before I started my bowel prep.  It was 20 pills.  I had to take 4 every 15 minutes with a full glass of water.  Then, just stay close to the potty! :)

Some people are required to lose some weight preop (I wasn't--just told to maintain) and he recommends cutting carbs to help shrink the liver and to help drop a few pounds.  But there is no set preop diet! 

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

looking4loss
on 10/18/09 5:52 am - Overton, NE
Felicia,

I am going to have the VSG, so this might be a little different, but then what is the immediate post-op diet?  I was just wondering how long liquids, mushies, etc., that Dr. A suggests.  I am hoping to have my surgery late December so keep your fingers crossed!
Felicia S.
on 10/19/09 1:31 am - Lincoln, NE
Dr. Anthone has no postop diet either!  It's sorta weird.  He just said eat whatever you want as long as your tummy can handle it.  I had a bite of meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the hospital after he cleared me for eating.

I sort of wished he had had a more strict postop diet as I really struggled for the first 2 months with nausea and vomiting (just had to learn how to eat smaller portions and what did and did not agree with my new sleeve--we have the same size sleeve as a VSGer, but we also have our intestines rerouted as well).

I recommend eating soft mushy foods for the first couple of weeks...but that is just my opinion.

Definitely ask Dr. Winterstein if he has a postop diet.

My fingers are crossed...I hope you get your surgery in December! :)

Felicia

looking4loss
on 10/19/09 2:48 am - Overton, NE
Are you serious???  That is kind of strange.  I think after I see what Dr. W suggests, I will do VERY light or just liquids for a while, because I get nauseated very easily.  (Flashbacks to morning sickness...)  If you have any tips or pointers to make my journey any easier, I would love to hear them.
Felicia S.
on 10/19/09 3:08 am - Lincoln, NE
Yogurt went down really well at first...I bought the light variety with the lowest amount of carbs.  Another thing that really went down well was those Banquet TV dinners.  I would buy the salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy and corn.  I would throw away the corn (I was worried my tummy wouldn't like it) and split the rest into 2 or 3 meals.  I also ate sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding.  I don't like this, but many love cottage cheese and "ricotta fluff" (ricotta mixed with sugar free pudding mix and milk or half and half).  A small amount of scrambled egg with cheese usually goes down well at first.

Sip all day long on water or sugar free drinks.  You won't be able to gulp water the first couple of months.  Chew your food very well (that is not so important now that I'm almost 7 months' out, but it was really important at the beginning).  Eat slowly and listen to your body.  If you feel full at all, stop eating.  It's that ONE extra bite that will put you over the edge and make you miserable until you either throw up or it finally passes.  You might get signals like a runny nose or a hiccup.  Just pay close attention.

You'll do great!  Dr. A and Dr. W are really great surgeons and will take good care of you!  I never really got to know Dr. W very well, although he did assist on my surgery.

Take care,

Felicia

a walker
on 1/1/10 12:26 pm - in, NE
Yah...what Felicia said.  He has no post op diet.   I especially agree with Felicia on the Sugar Free popsicles.  They were a life saver for me.  I was nauseated after every meal and would eat a SF popsicle and it really seemed to help.

Good luck!
Anissa 
looking4loss
on 1/2/10 12:56 am - Overton, NE
Thanks, Anissa.  So for post-op, did you follow some sort of strict plan?  I found one another gal posted on the VSG site that's VERY thorough, so I'm going to plan on following that.  MOre or less liquids for two weeks, etc.  I'm aiming for February 15.  Happy Valentine's Day to me!!
a walker
on 1/2/10 1:08 am - in, NE
Nope.  The only thing I had to do was NOT gain any weight.  I was (and still am) bad at sticking to any diet for very long so I didn't really try to lose anything before my surgery.  I will say that I believe that anything someone can do to lose some more before surgery would be beneficial....so go for it! 

Anissa 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4735 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5896 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6234 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6304 views