Support Group in Grand Island

sholman
on 11/12/09 7:44 am
Greetings,
I am looking for 3-4 patients that would be interested in starting a weight loss surgery support group in the GI area. I have many patients from the GI area that have verbalized an option to the group that has been long established in the GI area. If you are interested in taking a lead with another person or 2 in your area and starting a new group, please let me know. I do want you to know that Kearney and Hastings both have support groups up and running. If you would like more information, feel free to call me.
Shelly Holman 402-219-7638. Take care and focus on "doing the next right thing in your program at this moment."
Barb_E
on 11/15/09 12:03 pm - Grand Island, NE
I sure hope there is a group starting in Grand Island.  I have drove to the one in Kearney, but with winter approaching I dread driving over there.
Please keep us updated if there is a group starting here.
Barb
sholman
on 11/16/09 1:56 am
Barb,
Please ask around and see if we can find someone who would want to take the lead on this group. I can help with coaching and coming up with some topics if needed. I will support as much as I can. Thanks!
Shelly
papanpez
on 12/3/09 11:11 pm - Grand Island , NE
Hi there Everyone!. I too am from GI I'm pre opp, still going trough all the requirements for my insurance approval. I would love to attend a support group in the area too! If we could get one up in running I'd definitely come. I also have an acquaintance that I work with that has had surgery here in GI and may want to attend as well.
Please keep me posted about were this all goes.

Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork.

sholman
on 12/4/09 12:05 am
I have not heard anything from the GI area on interest in getting a group together. Perhaps after the first of the year?? I do have information on a Hastings and Kearney group. If you are interested in attending either of those, I will connect you! I am expecting their 2010 schedules soon. Thanks...Shelly
papanpez
on 12/4/09 3:43 am - Grand Island , NE
Sure I'd love info, I'd most likely attend in Hastings if I did go since its closer.
Are you the leader or founder of the groups do you just attend them yourself? 

Go ahead and message me with any more info you have for the Hastings and Kearney.

sholman
on 12/4/09 3:58 am
The Hastings support group is meeting on the fourth Tuesday of each month (5:30p-6:30p)at the Medical Services Building at 715 N Kansas there in Hastings. A contact that you can call for more details is Michelle @ 402-463-5666.

The Kearney support group is meeting on the third Wednesday of each month at Southview Community Room at 1004 West 11th street in Kearney. It starts at 7:00pm. A contact that you can call for more details is Tricia at 402-440-6787.

Please call before you travel to make sure they are indeed meeting in December. With the holidays, there may be some changes. I am the nurse coordinator in Lincoln however I try to support other groups throughout the state by connecting folks and getting the word about support group out. It is a wonderful ideas that you are wanting to attend prior to surgery...good idea.

I will get the 2010 group schedules for Kearney and Hastings on the website as soon as I recieve them.

Thanks,
Shelly
papanpez
on 12/4/09 12:48 pm, edited 12/4/09 12:49 pm - Grand Island , NE
Thanks I'll be sure to call, although I probably won't be able to make it to a meeting till Jan. either  since we are some what of Snow birds and usually head down to Mexico for a few weeks in Dec./Jan.

But I will check it out for Jan.

Unfortunately as it turns out, I may have a few more months of Pre opp. I found out since I've recently transferred to my husbands insurance I have a waiting period for "pre existing conditions" and I'm not sure If obesity will be considered under that, and they will make me wait till after April 1st to approve me. Ahhhh the Red Tape!!

But ANYWAYS, Thanks so much for all the info! You seem to know your stuff!

Pats67
on 4/21/10 6:46 am - Clarks, NE
Thanks for your reply.  I just put a call into Shelly Holman who started this post last fall.  If I hear from her I will post it.

You need to do whats best for yourself and worry about your family.  

Hang in there.
Pats
Pats67
on 4/20/10 7:23 am - Clarks, NE
Has a support group began in GI?  I am very interested in attending.

Patsy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4727 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5892 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6227 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6297 views