Another NE newbie(or or would that be newBOY?).

Erick A.
on 1/8/04 1:51 am - Omaha, NE
I just went to the informational seminar with Dr Sudan last night---I waited about four months for this meeting. I made the personal commitment to have the surgery mid-2003... Lots to think about, isn't it??? I wonder if some of the local people who are thinking about, or have had the surgery stuck with one doctor all the way, or did you consider more than one physician? What I mean is one doctor at Creighton, and one doctor at UNMC? Weighing the options and the facilities--any thoughts about either place or doctor... I know you have opinions out there.................... I am curious to find out your thoughts........... I need to know! Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions! yooper
AllisonF
on 1/8/04 5:33 am - Hooper, NE
Erick, I think that it is always wise to keep one's options open. After meeting with both surgeons you can decide which route and which surgery is the best for YOU. There are a lot of opinions, different types of surgery and different experiences for all of us. The previous poster had great luck with Dr. Tom White. I, on the other hand, did not. I think Dr. Sudan is great and feel very comfortable with him being the one to perform my surgery. I have decided to have LAP BPD/DS. It just depends on you and what feels right for you. I don't know how long that you have been investigating WLS, or how long you have been a member of this site, but there is a wealth of information out there for the learning. Keep on moving forward and do what is right for YOU! Good luck on your journey - wherever it may lead you.
Amy H.
on 1/21/04 2:33 am - Arlington, NE
Hey newBOY! Well I have looked at all the Dr's in a 300 mile raidius of Omaha and origianly stated with UNMC but the wait was FOREVER then I went to Scotts Bluff didn't want the drive so then I went to Creighton my insurance said NO! I gave up that was 3 years ago. In Nov. a now friend told me about Sioux Falls, SD so I made an appoint on the 26th of Nov. was approved in less than a month and had the surgery on Jan. 5th. Not to mention that the cost is WAY CHEAPER. Even though insurance paid most the total bill if I would have had to pay was $20,000. at Creighton it would have been $100,000. Dr. O'Brien was awesome and so was the hospital. You are in and out in 3 days, depending on what you have done. Amy
smb813
on 1/24/04 9:28 am - Rosemount, MN
hi eric, I want to personally recommed Dr. Gary Anthone. He just moved his practice from LA to omaha. He has info meetings evry month but u can get in alot sooner to have the procedure done. I went to the seminar on 12-11, had my consult on 12-22, and I am now getting my surgery done on 1-27. I had originally wanted Dr. Sudan but they couldn't get me in until sometime late in the year. I had got a consult with Dr. Swarnsen but that is not until 3-17-04, I will be several weeks post op. Good luck with your journey. U can come visit me in the hospital next week if u would like. I will be having surgery at methodist hospital. -shauna
Cynthia Garza
on 1/26/04 3:06 am - Palmdale, CA
Hi Eric, I have to second what Shauna said Dr. Anthone is wonderful surgeon. California Patients miss him you would be in good hands if he is your surgeon. Cindy Garza CA. Post-Op 18 months -145lbs. and finished
Sue K.
on 1/29/04 12:42 pm - Gretna, NE
Hello--I started out at Creighton in October of 2002, and learned in December of that year, that their main surgeon (Dr. Thomas) was leaving. I had the choice of going on Dr. Sudan's waiting list which would have been ~18 months, or starting all over. Dr. Thompson at UNMC came highly recommended to me, and I had an initial consultation about 6-months later. Finally...I am happily 17 days post op, having had a great experience at the Med Center, and with Dr. Thompson. I never would have dreamed, however, that this would be a 2+ year journey from my initial consult. Bottom line--you may want to keep your options open, and patience is definitely a virtue. Good luck to you!
Erick A.
on 1/29/04 3:12 pm - Omaha, NE
I have a consultation with Dr. McBride at UNMC on Monday morning, and a consultation with Dr White at Immanuel Hospital on Monday evening(due to another patient cancelling their appointment). Does anyone have any thoughts on either one of these doctors??? I know Dr Sudan wants me to lose 40 # prior to surgery, and I am waiting for their reply from my initial consultation with them last Friday. Any input is appreciated. yooper
Shulkrn
on 3/10/04 8:14 am - NE
Erick- I am interested in what you thought of Dr. McBride and Dr. White after your consultations-since you did not get a response. I am a nurse, and an excellent spinal surgeron that I work always refers to Dr. White for obese people that need spinal surgery and cannot have the spinal surgery because they are not a surgical candidate for spine surgery due to risks of obesity. He talks highly of Dr. White. That means something doesn't it? I am a newbie too. Dr. Sudan's office is sending me the informational packet... I am disappointed to hear that it will be months until I can have surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4735 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5896 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6234 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6304 views