Time off after surgery...

jillian2185
on 1/12/12 10:09 am - Portsmouth, NH
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how much time off from work people needed after surgery...I am a teacher and I would like to try to work around my school vacation and saved up sick days...I know its different for everyone, but I am curious to know what kind of time off people felt was necessary.

Thanks!
Jill
Xico
on 1/13/12 10:55 am - NH
Hi Jill I had G-Bypass  and it took me about two months with return to work part-time. I thought I would be back to work in two weeks! Found I needed to give myself time to heal and focus on learning to eat after surgery etc. My stamina and energy also slowly had to build back-up. Once I was back to work I had no problems... my advise would be give yourself flexibility if you can so that if you need to take more time you can, and don't rush your recovery.  - Xico
NHskinnygirl
on 1/14/12 9:17 am - Nashua, NH
Hi Jill,

I would tell you that every one is different. I had a really easy time after surgery and would have gone back 2 weeks out. I had been out of work to take care of my Mom who was very sick at the time. She went into a nursing home 2 weeks before my surgery.  I had my surgery on a Monday, left the hospital that Wednesday night and was driving down to my Mom the day after I came home. I had stopped pain meds the day after surgery just took tylenol because of being sore.  I will say I was tired easily for about a week after but then I was back to my regular routine. If you know how you react to anesthesia and what your pain tolorance is that would be a good way to judge what you will need. I've had friends take a month some 12 weeks so it really is had to say what you will need.  I want to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. Its been a great journey for me, I'll be 8 years out on the 19th...and I had RNY surgery.
Laurie in NH     Expect the Best !  You will receive the Best....
283/251/150    

NHPOD9
on 1/15/12 5:47 am
I teach and had my surgery during the summer, so that I would have four weeks of recovery before starting back.  I think I could have gone back week two, although I would have been exhausted in the evenings.  Even after four weeks, I was tired in the evenings, however, when I think about prior years, the first few weeks of teaching are exhausting no matter if you are a recent posto*****t.

As Laurie stated, everyone's pain tolerance/recovery time is different, but if you are able to sit during the day to teach, it will probably be easier for you to go back after two weeks.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

NancyL3
on 1/16/12 9:25 am - Derry, NH
 Jill,

I had G-bypass 4 weeks ago. It all depends on the person. I felt well enough to go back after a week but took the extra week to teach myself more on my eating and fluids. Just take it one day at a time and take it easy don't rush. But I can say I have 3 growing boys at home and I was home with them Winter Break and the only issue I had was I was tired. 

Good luck!!

Nancy 

JODJR
on 2/3/12 8:51 pm, edited 2/3/12 8:51 pm - NH

My job is very physical and I was planning on going back after 2 weeks. I ended up taking 3 weeks off and maybe could have taken 4 weeks. My first week back I was getting tired easy and feeling weak. I had my baypass on Dec. 19th 2011. Right now I'd say I'm back to normal!!

Jim

Most Active
Recent Topics
Canobie Lake Park
senyoshida · 0 replies · 469 views
Plastic surgeon ?
jmere · 0 replies · 806 views
Dartmouth.. dr truss
Debberz · 1 replies · 1563 views
CMC lifestyle chances class
morgansmom12 · 0 replies · 5031 views