CONFUSSED!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Sharon G.
on 8/1/11 10:59 pm - Middlesex County, NJ

I have had the band for 5.5 years now, had major plastic surgery ( lower body lift) a year after I lost all my weight 112 lbs totally , i have been having issues with my esophigus and went to my bariatric sergeon, he told me I may have a slipped band and it will need to come out...Im having a upper GI study next week to be sure thats what the problem is, he also told me after 6 weeks of the band being out I can get another band or the sleeve, he really reccomends the sleeve because he feels this is a more natural way of eating, WHAT SHOULD I DO???? Im not really familiar with the sleeve, but have lived with a band for 5.5 years and know how to live with it....HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 12:28 am - NJ
First of all, congrats on being so successful as a band patient!

I started out with the band too, and usually if one slips or is giving you problems, another band will likely do the same.  I went with RNY because I thought it would work better for me.  Everyone is different. 

I would post this on both the revision and VSG boards, there are many people I know of who have made the transition from the band to the sleeve.

Best of luck to you!
TV2Night
on 8/2/11 8:24 am - Hackettstown, NJ
I would say talk to someone who's had the sleeve and see what they can tell you.  I've had bypass and have been very happy with it.  Congrats on your weight loss with the band I give credit to those banders who are successful.  It takes work every day for any of these procedures, but at least my body gives consequences when I do the wrong thing and that is why i went to Bypass over the band originally.

Check out the sleeve forum I'm sure someone can help you out.
Tom C.
on 8/4/11 3:44 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I know a few people who have the sleeve, and are doing very very well.

If you send me a personal message with a contact, I will pass it along to them to see if they will contact you.

Good luck, and know we're here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Sharon G.
on 8/4/11 11:47 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 FYI,
    I had emergency band remoal on Tuesday, very very sad, as if they were taking part of my body off, I can't explain it but it was so sad....Im doing much better today, with a much better attitude...I think for now, Im going to try to live with nothing and do it on my own, Im below my goal wetght and if I watch like a normal person I will be good and maintain...Wish me luck everyone...

Tom C.
on 8/4/11 6:27 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Wishing you all the best. Device or no device, know we're here for you.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Nannette
on 8/4/11 10:57 pm - Toms River, NJ
Sharon - don't be afraid of the sleeve -- although it is a bit newer -- the results are great -- and I know several who have it -- In fact, many surgeons are now recommending the sleeve over the band for strictly restrictive WLS surgery -- The results long-term are starting to look much better.
Good luck
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

rbb825
on 9/1/11 8:33 pm - Suffern, NY
Normally I feel the sleeve is a great surgery but in your case, it isnt' a good option and this is why.  Due to the band, you have damage to your esophagus which probably left you with scaring and a lot of inflamation.  The inflamation hopefully will go away but the scaring will not.  People with the sleeve are very often at risk for severe acid reflux which will definitley be a problem with a damaged esophagus.  People that have an RNY - gastric bypass, are the highest success rate for treating or evading acid reflux.  Post op, we either dont' produce any acid or very little.  We need to take PPI;s for 6 months to 1 year to suppress what little acid there is to avoid ulcers and reflux but most dont' need anything after that time.  Depending on how much damage there is to your esophagus, you might need to take a PPI indefinitely just as a precaution but having the sleeve would almost guarantee you a problem with reflux. - unfortunatley having a slipped band and the erosion that went with it makes you a high risk for future reflux and you need to do whatever possible to reduce the risk.

If you are going to go ahead with another WLS, please look into gastric bypass - it is for your health

Most Active