Hello NM I'm offically sleeved!!!!!

Janet L.
on 12/15/09 10:09 pm - Jemez Springs, NM
I just got back from Flagstaff last night. I got a VSG with Dr. Aldridge in Flagstaff. i can not be happier!!! It was a long road to get it done but I finally got the insurance approval 20 min before check in for surgery. That was so stressful, but that god it went through and here I am recovering. Since NM only offers the lap band you still have to go outta state for bypass and the sleeve. I would recommend Flagstaff I love the town and the office staff did a great job and of course the Dr rocked!!! lol yeah I'm just a little excited ... if you any question message me :)
Janet
meinnm
on 12/15/09 11:49 pm
That is awesome!  Congrats!
kat87120
on 12/19/09 1:08 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Oh Janet, I am so happy for you!!!!  I was curious as to how things were going with you and here you are, SLEEVED!!!  Please drop me a line and let me know how things are going.  I love my sleeve!  I don't get on here very often but I'll pop in now to check on you.

Again, congrats and welcome to the bench!
Katherine
p.s... You're right, the Doc in Flagstaff rock!

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

ChelleWiser
on 12/26/09 5:28 am - Farmington, NM

I had RNY gastric byass in '02, over the past several years have gained back a substantial amount of weight, and am now seeking revision surgery.  I am researching the gastric sleeve, and was wondering what the name of your doctor is, and if you know if they perform revisions.  I'm once again at the beginning of the journey *sigh* and any help you could give me would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

kat87120
on 12/28/09 4:46 pm - Albuquerque, NM
ChelleWiser, my doctor in Flagstaff was Dr. Robert Burger... his partner is who did Janet's surgery.  I would highly recommend both of these doctors.  They are professional, thorough, caring and their staff jumps through all kinds of hoops to get you approved with your insurance.  I was sleeved in May, 2008 and absolutely love my sleeve, it was one of the best things I've done for myself.  Good luck in your journey.

Unknown Author
Failure is only a fact when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down, the question is: Will you get back up?

Donald J.
on 12/27/09 8:45 am
Awesome!!!!!  How did you go about getting Insurance  to cover anything but lapband ?  I'm with united healthcare(just started) and they "only " cover lapband. I 'm glad to hear of DR in Flag becouse I'm In Farmington and Fort collins is so far away(and over mountain passes)..Anyway great job sticking it out and going all the way. I will keep on bugging you with post op. questions like when are you going back to work and would you do it all again tommorow?THANKS FOR LISTENING  DONALD
kat87120
on 12/28/09 4:51 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Donald, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of NM and they covered my sleeve surgery.  (By the way, I'm a Farmington gal, retired from a public service position there and then moved to ABQ.)  If you opt to go to Flagstaff, which I highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.  The Dr's are amazing and the staff is great.  Nancy (nurse and insurance guru) is awesome at getting patients approved through insurance.  I know you didn't ask me but, YES, I would do it all again tomorrow!  I was sleeved in May, 2008 and it was one of the best things I've done for myself.  I'm down about 147 pounds and feel like a new person!  Who knew I had all this energy inside me!  Good luck and keep us posted.

Katherine

Unknown Author

Donald J.
on 1/8/10 5:00 am
Thanks for the info, right now I"m at my forth month of "dietery counseling" by my doctor. So my insurance does cover lapband (only lapband I'm told), and a wonderfull nurse in Colorado got the ball rolling for me, but It is so far away I'd have to make a long stay becouse of timing. The nurse has really worked hard and set it up where I would go do all the meetings one day and surg. the next day but I'm worried about fills and not being able to see the doctor as often as I would want to. I would rather have the bypass (I think), but I like the fact that the lapband isn't permanent , but I'v been big for 25 years (out of 36) so Hopefully I can be smaller fo 25 more!
Anyway thanks for replying and I'll keep you posted. Today I called Alb. and lefty a message so well see how it goes. 
kat87120
on 1/8/10 11:49 am - Albuquerque, NM
May I ask who you have insurance with?  There are several individuals that I know who were told their insurance only covered the band but once they started pushing buttons and asking to speak with someone in authority they found that the bypass was also covered.  Apparently it is an insurance ploy because the band is cheaper than the bypass. 
Is there any pre-testing that you have to go through?  I had a host of test that I went though before the Doctor would even schedule my surgery.  Concerning the fills, last I knew there was no one in NM who could/would do them so, you're right, that might be a bit of an inconvience for you. 
Keep up the great work and stay positive.  Seems insurance companies like to beat us down when it comes to this type of surgery... sure doesn't make sense to me, being overweight just causes more health problems which, in turn, cost the insurance companies more in the long run.

Katherine

Unknown Author

Donald J.
on 1/9/10 11:55 pm
My "new" insurance is united Healthcare. it started on 1-1-2010. As far as tests go, I supossedly am on track due to my sleep apnea being severe just supossedly have to have 6 months dr supervised dietery counseling. I go every month would have been past this but was only going in if I needed meds or was sick I missed one month and had to start over. This week was my fourth month but I know they probably have more "hoops" for me to jump throu.The "new " insurance is "the same" as old insurance but that was Blue crossBlue shield and I checked in and they "supposedly" have the same prereqs. Thanks for being here and I'kll keep checking in !!!DONALD
Most Active