New and have questions

rebgriff
on 3/5/10 3:42 am - Albuquerque, NM
I am wanting to have weight loss surgery but every PCP has turned their noses up at me and says to "eat less, exercise more."  It's gotten to the point where I am too scared to even ask for this help.  I'm at a phase now that I am frightened to even go to a PCP for the same answer.  PCP's have treated me like I am some junkie looking for a fix.  Or worse yet, a lazy person looking for that magic cure.  Some doctors are sympathetic to my, and some get very annoyed at me.  Can someone please recommend a good PCP who will be willing to take me seriously and see that I am at a point in my life where there are no other options?  I am on Pres. Salud.  Please, any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 
melly37
on 3/5/10 5:04 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I am not sure if he is taking new patients, but I see Dr. John Liljestrand.  He is WONDERFUL and encouraged weight loss surgery for me!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

jessicam
on 3/5/10 1:05 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Hello,

Not sure if you got the bad news yet but as of March 15 Pres Salud is no longer going to cover bariatric surgery. Its sucks because so many people are getting screwed. It's my understanding that no matter where you were at in the process if you could not get the surgery done before March 15th they were not going to cover it. At the last support group this past Wed. one of the ladies said it is all the medicaids in NM that were not going to continue to cover it. I have Pres Salud and my surgery was set for the 9th so my client coordinator said that I just made it. I know that for one of the other posters on this site he was set for the 23rd and they moved it up for him to the 10 to get it to work. You may want to call Del Sol or go to one of the seminars to see if there are any exceptions to this, they can also help you find a pcp that will support your decision with the surgery. Sorry to be the one with the bad news.

ccrider
on 3/5/10 10:31 pm
Another great PCP to have is Dr. Angela Sanchez with Southwest medical Associates.  She is located at the Northside Presbyterian building.  She is great and an advocate for weight loss surgery.  She helps her patients with the whole process.  

Most Active