2005 Consult, Exploring Again

Cindy F.
on 3/14/12 8:35 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
I went for a consult with Dr. Allan MacDonald (Halifax) in April 2005 (after an 18 mos wait just to get that).  I was interested in the lapband and found out that it wasn't available / covered in the maritimes yet. I wasn't interested in the gastric bypass as I thought that was too extreme for my liking.  He went over the options available (limited) and told me to get back to him if I was interested. I called back a few months later and asked to be put on the list as I knew it was at least a 2 year wait time and I'd see where I was weight-wise at that time.

Fast forward 7 years and in that time I've tried a 2 year weight loss study sponsored by Pfizer (lost 70 lbs and regained 3/4), hypnosis for 6 weeks with no weight loss, WW twice, Herbal Magic ($$) for which I lost some weight but again, gained it back. Looking at my old follow-up from that 2005 consultation and I'm only a few pounds lighter. This prompted me to explore surgery options and came across this forum. I'm interested in getting 'sleeved' and have made an appointment with my doctor to get a new referral, as the QEII states that anyone consulted / referred 2008 should get re-referred.

My question after that long spiel is, do you think my past consultation will be taken into consideration for wait times or will I have to start all over again. I'm concerned that Dr. MacDonald's assistant never actually put me on the list.

I'm in relatively good health but the consultation shows that I've been exploring this for a long time and explains my history.  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this, I'm enjoying reading about everyone's journey's and surgery successes. If I have to start all over, and after reading all the positive experiences, I'll be Mexico-bound within the next year or two.
FancyRoses
on 3/15/12 1:45 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
sadly you will need to be re-referred and Dr. Allan MacDonald  is no longer the surgeon here in Halifax NS its a Dr James Ellsmere who is surgeon now for obesity and he ONLY does the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy however Dr MacDonald is still doing revisions and repairs in Amherst, NS.  also very sad is your wait time is 10 plus years yes you start OVER at the bottom of a growing 2000 plus patients.  If you have any co mobilities please make sure you doctor lists all these.  There are a few support groups that can be great for those who need support and maybe even just to vent.  We do clothing swaps also.  Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask anything else if you like
My goals to a healthy me            
Citykitty
on 3/26/12 5:05 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi,

I think your wait time depends very much on your overall general health as well as your age.  I am in my late fifties with a family history of heart disease and stroke.  I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea as well as arthritis and my wait time from the time I was referred was about 2 1/2 years.  Diana Lawlor explained it to me that the number of comorbidities you have along with your age determines where you will be slotted into the waiting list.  I think what they are trying to do is help people prevent the serious consequences like heart attack and stroke.

You should go to the website for Capital District Health Authority (the bariatric program) and print off a copy of the referral form to take to your doctor.  Once it is filled out he/she can send it in right away.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Cindy F.
on 4/18/12 12:23 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
I just received a call from Dr. Sylvian Beausoleil's office to set up a consult on June 4th! She said this was in follow-up to my 2004 referral. I went to my family doctor a few weeks ago to get a new referral sent to the Health Sciences Centre in follow up to my 2005 consult with Dr. MacDonald and thought this was in regard to that but she said they don't have the 2012 referral, this is strictly to follow-up from 8 years ago! I thought that was interesting. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

If all goes well with the consult and I get the green light, can anyone give me an idea of what process I should expect to happen after? I'm interested in the VSG.

I'll search the forums as well but thanks in advance for any information you can share.
Citykitty
on 7/4/12 5:38 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi Cindy,

For what it's worth, MSI refused to cover me to go the NB for lapband.  If that doesn't work out, go to the Capital District Health Authority's webpage (www.cdha.nshealth.ca), under Programs & Services choose Obesity Network, then continue on till you find the referral link.  You can then download that referral form and take it to your doctor.  Make sure your doctor puts all your health problems on the form as that will help determine where on the wait list you will be slotted.  Hope this helps.

Most Active