Dr. Robert Rutledge and mini gatric bypass

hfa1407
on 4/18/07 12:28 pm
Has anyone out there experienced the complication of reflux bile with the mini gastric bypass. I am strongly considering it but my doctor in Washington really discouraged due to the problems with bile. I really want to hear from you!!! I have lap band scheduled but I am still wondering if the MGB is a better solution.
leanngrandma
on 5/5/07 7:38 am
Cindy, Please do some more research into the MGB, I just had it done 2 weeks ago, and Iam doing great, no bile reflux...In 2004 I had the band put on, I got an infection in the port area, and had to have it removed in January 2006. Thier are alot of problems with the band, go to clos and read the people that have had a revision from the band to the MGB...Ask the ones on the Clos if they have Bile reflux......If you have any questions e-mail me ............Leann
Sandyhammer
on 6/17/07 4:14 pm - WA
I don't have an answer but I do have a question.  I am considering seeing De Rutledge because my staples are "disrupted after five months.  I am from Washington and had my surgery done in Seattle.  I wondered how you found Dr Rutledge.  Thanks ....another WLS person looking for answers now because they want to completely redo that horrible open surgery.   Sandy
Kilaani
on 7/3/07 2:44 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I would think that Dr. Weber would fix what they've had happen - Usually I hear decent things about him. PLEASE don't go with Dr. Rutledge - I've also heard very cautionary tales about him. I used to live in Washington so I am familiar with him and the other surgeons there. If you want the RNY, and don't want to go back to Dr. Weber, you should strongly consider Dr. Oh in Federal Way. He's got an excellent reputation for fixing people with broken surgeries.  Best of luck,

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

lvjen218
on 12/29/09 2:27 am - Las Vegas, NV
You might want to specify which Dr. Rutledge you are referring to I had my surgery with Dr. Robert Rutledge in Henderson, NV 3 years ago and have had no problems. 7 of my family members have also had surgery with him and have done well. He has done over 5,000 surgery and his partner in Florida Dr. Peraglie has done over 1,500. Dr. Rutledge has never done surgeries in Washington. He has only done surgeries in North Carolina, California, and Nevada.
Sandyhammer
on 7/3/07 3:31 pm - WA
Thank you for responding.  I did go to see Dr Rutledge in Las Vegas for a second opinion and was pleased that he did not charge me for his service, saying he was extremely convinced that I should not have the surgery so soon.  I am having another check up next week with a gastroenterologist (sp)  who is considering an endoscopy to see the exact nature of the disruption. I have not heard back from Dr Weber's office.  They have  a new person doing their insurance work, so perhaps she hasn't heard from my insurance.  I did call them direct and they stated over the phone that I was approved for a second opinion and that an operation to repair was considered medically necessary and should be no problem getting approval, in fact, recommended that I go ahead with it as prior authorization is not needed for this.  So I am still checking it out.   I do appreciate hearing that you have your information from a person who has first hand knowledge.  I am really satisfied with Dr Weber, and feel he is a very competent surgeon.  He is a long way from Gig Harbor to be in the hospital, and I wasn't real impressed with the staff at Steven's hospital, or their knowledge of the after care needed for bariatric surgery patients.  I have contacted Dr Oh's office and have an appointment with them the end of this month.
Blondefudge
on 1/29/10 12:39 am
Dr. Rutledge performed my surgery in 2002.  Good bedside manner.  However, my surgery was not as successful as it should be.  There was NO follow up care.  I am considering having a revision done but most certainly I will choose another surgeon.
Genisis
on 6/20/07 10:28 am - NV
PLEASE be VERY CAUTIOUS about choosing Dr. Rutledge or MGB.  I have a good friend that works in the surgery department where he performs many of his surgeries.  He has had numerous complications both during and after surgery.  Many of his patients are at great risk because of his surgical methods.  More than 30% of his scheduled cases are to correct mistakes he made in the original surgery or to deal with complications that have arisen as a result. Also, most of the doctors/surgeons speak very negatively of his practices. These types of problems are the reason that MGB was discontinued years ago.   PLEASE BE CAREFUL........BEST OF LUCK 
katiedun
on 6/26/07 12:35 pm
what do you mean, discontiued years ago?  it's still being done, yes?
Genisis
on 6/27/07 7:51 am - NV
Dr. Rutledge still does MGB, but what he calls MGB is a variation of a very similar procedure (loop bypass) that was used in the early days of WLS (1967).  There were so many complications because of it that the AMA as well as many of the surgeons it originated with stopped doing the procedure.  They came up with new procedures that caused far less complications.  Some doctors, including Rutledge resurrected the older loop procedure, and renamed it MGB.  They choose to use this technique because it is an easier surgical method to perform.  Unfortunately, the long term adverse effects are abundant and patients often require revisions.   Hope that helps explain things a little better.
Most Active