Vitamin D deficiency

Trish6660
on 11/9/11 11:56 am - Long Island, NY
I've been taking 1000 iu daily for 5 months and my vitamin D level is lower than it was 5 months ago!!  wtf??? HOW Is this possible???  Any recommendations as to how I can increase this dramatically?  Between taking 2 multi-vitamins daily and a whole host of other supplements, I'm getting tired of this regimen of trying to get it right.  I am 5 years post op and I still don't have the vitamin levels balanced.  I'm ready to just STOP supplements totally.  If you can gain weight, aren't you getting enough from food intake now?  Maybe the body knows best afterall. 
 Trish
Father Don
on 11/9/11 12:06 pm - Charleston, SC
We live in the sun-starved Northeast.  We, by nature will have low Vitamin D - even if we DID NOT have surgery.  "normal" people have Vit D deficiency, and most don't even know...we know because we get checked!

Your doctor should put you on weekly 50,000iu weekly pill...if not - ASK!

The 1000iu/day is a good re-enforcement, but we need MUCH more.

Tanning, getting OUTSIDE with skin EXPOSED...these are ways to help increase Vit D levels as well.

Hope this helps - just know - you NOT alone - you are just one of the few that actually KNOW.  Use that knowledge to better YOURSELF.

Don't ever give up!  It may be a bumpy road at times, but we all know it's been worth the journey!!!!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

debbie13
on 11/9/11 12:35 pm, edited 11/9/11 12:35 pm - Cossayuna, NY
 Absolutely DO NOT get a script for 50,000 IU of VItamin D. It is the worst form of Vit D that an RNY can take. Its ergocalciferol (D2) and needs to be converted to cholecalciferol (D3). Talk to a nitritionist that is experienced in WLS about that. We do not absorb or convert enough of it into its useable form to make it worth taking. I've been down that road with my primary and got a stern talking to from my nutritionist. We need to be taking Vit D3 (cholecalciferol), lots of it and routinely. I am currently taking 10,000 IU on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 5,000 IU the other days. That adds up to 50,000 per week. I get it over the counter, no perscription strencth. According to my nutritionist I will be taking that much for the rest of my life. For the first time in 4 years I am in the normal range. Prescription D is only for those with normal anatomies. 

Go to 
http://wlsvitagarten.com/ for more information. This woman has tons of information on this site and it is all backed by studies.  

Vitamin D deficiency is way more prevalent than we think. Many people don't think that they are deficient. Sun helps but then you ahve to weigh the risks of sun exposure too. There are tons of ways to get your D, gummy, chewable or swallow a pill.

Good luck.  

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

Father Don
on 11/10/11 7:33 am - Charleston, SC
Sorry Deb - I did mean D3....But I didn't know we can get it over the counter - I have a script for it from my primary...

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

debbie13
on 11/10/11 10:26 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Wow, prescription D3? Didn't know that existed. I've asked my nutritionist for a D3 script and got told it doesn't exist in prescription form, only over the counter. I would double check two things Don - how your doc wrote the script and how the pharmacy is interpreting it. Unless the doc specifically wrote it for D3 you are probably getting D2.

I'll be doing a bit of reserach on this too. Have a few good contacts at the pharmacy we use where I work.  

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

rbb825
on 2/10/12 2:52 pm - Suffern, NY
there is no such thing as prescription D3 - if it is a prescription of 50,000 units, it is D2.  Sometimes what they do for people who have medicaid, they write a prescription for over the counter vitamins - like vitamin D (D2 - 1000units) and it gets paid for by insurance and that way people think it is prescription D.  True prescription D is D2 - 50,000 units not D3 - the only way to get 50,000 units of D3 is to get on the internet at vitalady.com from biotech technology or from there site directly.  I think amazon.com might sell it also.

rbb825
on 2/10/12 2:55 pm - Suffern, NY
there is no such thing as prescription vitamin D3 - prescription D - is 50,000 units of vitamin D2 and that is the only prescription D there is. 

what is your primary giving you?  I would be curious to see what you are getting?

the 50,000 units of dry D3 that we need to take to absorb is over the counter at vitalady.com or biotech pharmaceuticals.

Susan12803
on 11/11/11 10:12 am - NY
it's a new york/northeast thing. just keep doing what the doc tells you too.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/29/11 7:24 am, edited 11/29/11 7:25 am
Vitalady sells a 50,000 ui D3- no perscritption needed.

I was D deficient pre-op, and I was worried that I'd be even more deficient post op, but Dr. Stewart's vitamin instructions included taking the vitalady D3 every day. My D levels have never been better, my PCP is impressed. You might not need to take 50k ui of D every day since you had the RNY, I'm a bit different with the vitamin regimen since I've had the DS.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

rbb825
on 2/10/12 3:09 pm - Suffern, NY
No wonder you are vitamin D deficient - 1000 units daily is like taking nothing.  75% of the population is vitamin D deficient and most don't even know it.  Why they recommend people take 1000 units per day I will never understand, that will do nothing for someone with a deficiency and even someone with a decent level, wont do much.  You dont say how low your level is but if you are deficient, it must be below 30 and you say it is lower than before so it is probably lower than 20.  If that low, you need to take atleast 50,000 units of dry D3 = 3 times per week to start and take this for 2 months and get rechecked to see how your respond.    Many respond really well at this level and can just continue at this level and others need to increase further.  So, rechecking is very important.

As far as your other supplements - you say you are taking a multi 2 times daily - what multi are you taking?  Centrum silver is the great and the chewables are the best - they have everything you need in them.

calcium citrate - you need 1500-2000mg per day in 3-4 daily doses no more than 650mg per dose atleast 3-4 daily doses atleast 2-4 hours away from your iron and thyroid medication.  Each dose must be atleast 2 hours apart.

B12 - either sublingual minimum 1000mcg daily or monthly injections to start and then increase based on labs - most need much more.

Iron - carbonyl iron plus vitamin C - tender irons from vitalady.com is a great option, it has the vitamin C already in the capsule - they are 60mg per capsule.  Depending on how low your iron, determines how many you need to take, most need anywhere from 2-5 at a time.

B1 - 100mg a day

Dry vitamin D3 - depends on your vitamin D level - most need anywhere between 10,000 - 15,000 daily to 50,000 units 2-3 times per week.

anything else depends on your labs

Most Active
Recent Topics