Help me get the Lap-Band...

Jennifer B.
on 7/11/03 11:21 am - Tahleqauh, OK
Hey everyone, I'm 21 and trying for the last 5 months to get the Lap-Band Surgery. I'm on my step dad's insurance, and they denied me because of an exclusion. I've appealed, but everyone says that will do no good because it is an exclusion. My mother and I have been talking, and she said if we found a cheaper dr. that maybe we could find a way to self pay. Lord i hope so, could anyone here give me some prices w/ dr's names so maybe i'll have some luck? Thanks. Jenny Smith
classydame1
on 7/12/03 3:28 pm - Seminole, OK
The problem with getting approval with insurance for the lap band is that it is still considered experimental and not a procedure that is proven to the medical insurance world. The US is still considered in the infant stage of expertise in performing them. I know of several people including a bariatric surgeon Ronnie Keith in Norman who have had the procedure and with great success. Looking for a discount doctor is pretty much getting a cheap sofa that looks good. In the long run, you are getting a cheap imitation and not quality work. Look for the knowledge and track record before you commit to someone who does the surgery but doesn't know what they are doing. Gorospe did my open rny and is in my book the cadillac of surgeons but he is just learning the ins and outs of the procedure. He is a qualified medical professional and in that respect, I think he would do the best job possible. His assistant surgeon is in my book at gem. He really makes you feel at ease. I have read in this forum, of good medical teams south of the border in Mexico and South America. The people who have posted were more than pleased with the care and procedure. You might look in that direction but one word of advice, if you feel uneasy about anyone that will have your life in your hands, stop and re-evalute the situation. Good luck, Patti
CAROLYN H.
on 7/16/03 6:45 am - JOPLIN, MO
Jenny, wanted to let you know about Dr.Douglas Nespory, in Joplin,MO. He does Lap RNY and also Lap Band. You can contact in his office at 417-659-9500. Also he will be having a seminar on August 5,2003 at St.Johns Regional Medical Center at 6:30 Pm. If you would like to attend this with your mother please call the office to make reservation and if you have any questions please call the office.
Most Active
Recent Topics