intubating question

on_mels_mind
on 4/8/11 12:04 am - Canada
a woman on my facebook is having roux-en-y the last week of this month. at her last appointment the surgeon told her she will have to have the tube put in while still awake. apparently because of the size of her neck. is that common? she has posted on facebook trying to find anyone who had that done that can reassure her that it isn't that bad and that she will be fine, but hasn't gotten any replies. anyone on here have to have that done?
MisterDiminishing
on 4/8/11 12:06 am - Windsor, Canada
I would hope that the doc would give some IV sedation prior to inserting the airway.

on_mels_mind
on 4/8/11 12:10 am, edited 4/8/11 12:12 am - Canada
MisterDiminishing
on 4/8/11 12:13 am - Windsor, Canada
I think there is some missing info or a misunderstanding of some sort about what was said.

on_mels_mind
on 4/8/11 12:16 am - Canada
i hope so. she said they will give her something to numb her and some anxiety meds 30 min prior. but that still just doesn't sound right to me.
MisterDiminishing
on 4/8/11 12:19 am, edited 4/8/11 12:19 am - Windsor, Canada
Presumably that would be the I.V. sedation.  :)

She'll be awake but won't even realize the tube is being inserted, nor will she remember it.

Have her clarify with her doc.

Robin H.
on 4/8/11 12:56 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
hmmm sounds like what they do when you get the scope done? 

Evelyne66
on 4/8/11 12:33 am - Vaughan, Canada

I had to be awake for the intubating and yes it is they give you freezing and sedative.....they have to do it this way cause the tube gets stuck due to  the excess fat pushing on the inside....it is very dangerous if that happens.....I ended up being left with the breathing tube in me and was in ICU after that.....So let her know it is for her safety....has nothing to do with the doctor....

All the best....

Evelyne

Most Active
Recent Topics