what should I pack?

LAURIE G.
on 6/18/11 4:31 pm - tillsonburg, Canada
Hi there,
My surgery date is fast approaching (July 6th), so here I am at 2:23 am wondering what I should pack for the hospital.  I know that I've had over a year to think and prepare for this but I need some suggestions.  I've talked to several people in the clinic waiting room have said not to take anything but slippers and personal hygiene products.  Anything else that you can think of??  Thanks and have a great Father's Day!
Laurie

JUSTJENN is my Angel
teacherof4
on 6/18/11 4:46 pm
I had surgery this past week and I took slippers, personal hygiene products, my own pillow (it was good for the ride home too), a few magazines, and my book. I looked at the mags the first day or 2 and then moved on to my book. I also rented a tv for the night of the big hockey game and enjoyed it the next day too. I brought my own jammies and housecoat but never used them! Good luck on the 6th!
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
LAURIE G.
on 6/18/11 5:11 pm - tillsonburg, Canada
Hi there,
Thanks for the suggestions, I would never have thought to bring my  pillow.  I'm sure I'll need it on the drive home (only 2 hours) but I guess it will help with the seat belt.   Wow over 26 pounds lost already.  You're doing wonderful!  If you have any other pointers for surgery day please let me know.  thanks again. 
Laurie
Sharri63
on 6/20/11 4:32 am - St. Thomas, Canada
 Hi...Thanks for the pillow suggestion as I never thought of it either.  I'm so excited my surgery is  July th!!   I can't wait...I'm sooooo excited and nervous all at the same time!!  Thanks again.  
 Sharri     
Eileen C.
on 6/18/11 10:24 pm - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Laurie 

You really don't need too much, either you bring too much and don't use it or the hospital may supply

you with it LOL

Need slippers because you will be walking, and want to have your feet covered.

Housecoat to cover your butt for when you are walking LOL,  I didn't use mine as the hospital gown

was so big that it covered me completely LOL

Toothbrush and toothpaste, other personal hygiene products, but the hospital I was at supplied all

most everything I needed down to the toothbrush and paste in a little kit, but I had brought my own.

You may want a book or a magazine, I took a puzzle book but did not do it as I was either walking or

resting etc.  After surgery I prefer to sleep off the first few hours to get the meds out of my system. 

I took my cell phone; so that I could call my husband & let him know when he could pick me up the

morning they released me LOL

You hospital stay is usually very short and the nurses are usually keeping you pretty busy with

checking you and you really don't have much free time to yourself.

Will be making room on the bench for you, good luck with your surgery and sending warm hugs and

healing vibes your way 

Take care

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
LAURIE G.
on 6/19/11 12:24 am - tillsonburg, Canada

Good morning Eileen,
Thanks for the hugs and your response.  I always have to remind my husband that when I'm worried or down that I'll I need from him is a hug.  I've been reading post over the last year about "making room on the bench", now it's finally my turn.  Thanks for saving me a spot! 
I'll be sure to pack my cell phone.  I read on the main page that someone brought a sippy (baby) cup, do you think there's any use in that?  The whole sipping thing has made me nervous....
Thanks for your reply, you always seem so nice and positive on all of your posts.
Laurie

Lil-Stinker
on 6/19/11 12:25 am
FOAM EARPLUGS. yes, yes indeed.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Sharri63
on 6/20/11 4:41 am - St. Thomas, Canada
 Excellent idea!!  As I'm a very light sleeper and I don't require a sleep apnea machine either.  Thankfully I'm not a REAL snorer either?  At least I don't think I am.  LOL  Its hard when your single...lol  Thanks again for the suggestion.  Take care.    Sharri  
JUSTJENN71
on 6/19/11 12:38 am - Delhi, Canada
Hi my friend!!!

Well, I took way too much when I went to the hospital and did not use most of it.  I would most definitely take your cell phone and when you feel up to it you can text!  Also, I took pj's and housecoat and just used theirs the whole time.  I found it easier but you can always pack your housecoat for walking halls.  Hairbrush, toothbrush, all those items...

I do not think you need to take your sippy cup cause the hospital will only give you small amounts of fluid at first.  In Guelph they give you like medication shot cups.. so I think you will be fine probably other hospitals are similar.  Make sure you bring a pillow for ride home with the seatbelt!  I brought books and never touched them as posted I was either resting or walking halls.  Make sure you walk walk walk as much as you feel up to it!  I also wished I had something for my lips like lip balm. 

Anyways, I will talk to you soon... promise :)
StevesGal
on 6/19/11 1:44 am, edited 6/19/11 2:08 am - Hamilton, Canada
Hi, Laurie.

My surgery is next week on June 29th.  Here's what I'm taking:

- slippers (with hard soles so you don't wipe out)
- housecoat (to cover my butt, 'cuz chances are the gowns won't)
- Vaseline (for my lips)
- hand lotion (obvious)
- ear plugs ('cuz your roommate(s) could be noisy)
- sleep mask ('cuz of your roommate(s) and/ or the nurses coming and going)
- personal care items (hair brush, toothbrush, etc.)
- glass case
- magazine that I don't mind leaving behind (just incase someone takes it)
- pen ('cuz you usually have something to fill out)
- socks, underwear, for the trip home
- loose clothes for the trip home

FYI:  You can't wear any jewellery so make sure you take off everything except glasses (if you wear them), including any rings. 

And don't forget your Health Card.  Very important.

Good luck!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics