I am finally back at home!!

Megan M.
on 7/27/11 11:32 am - Canada
I wanted to kiss Thunder Bay when we arrived - I am so glad to be home.  Thanks so much for all the well-wishes on my last post from the Crowne Plaza.  As I said then, I am so impressed with the whole process that I went through in Hamilton - I can't think of one thing that I wish had been different.

Many of you expressed interest in Dr. Gmora.  I'll never forget him - he was amazing - so down to earth, so genuinely concerned about everything about me.  I saw him several times on surgery day, also several times on Saturday, he even came in at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday.  I had a few meltdowns, and he just sat with me and talked me through my tears and my fears, and I always felt reassured.  As I said before, I have no bruising - nothing turned purple, just a little browny-yellow discolouration around the two main incision sites - that end of a bruise look, but I got it without the bruising.  He was very concerned about us flying home to Thunder Bay, and he was glad to hear that we were staying close until Wednesday, and insisted on seeing me in his office on Tuesday morning - I was discharged on Monday.  Lots of people commented about him being "the new guy", and I can assure you that if you get him as your surgeon, you're about as lucky as you can get!

I don't have any real pain, but I'm so aware of my stomach now when I drink something - one sip is good, two sips in a row is too much and I have to stretch out, breathe deeply, and let it pass.  As Dr. Gmora said, I'm getting to know my body all over again.  I was very happy to add the Carnation Anytime to my diet - all I had in the hospital was apple juice, jello, apple juice, water, apple juice - you get the picture.  I would have killed for some broth but it never showed up.

My husband is doing a good job giving me my daily injection - if you get a choice, take the shots in the stomach area as it's so much more comfortable than in the leg where the nurses were shooting me up.  My arms are a little black & blue from all the blood work and my left hand is still sore from the IV - had to switch it over to my right hand b/c my left hand suddenly got very puffy.

They wouldn't let me take my Carnation through security at the airport - apple juice was ok, but the Carnation was not.  I ended up having a glass of milk (it was 2% that's all they had) and I ordered onion soup without the bread & cheese.  I was able to drink some milk, and thought I was in heaven eating the broth from the soup, all the while dreaming of the day I would be able to eat the onions as well, but I didn't want to take a chance.  Sure do fill up quickly, and I have to practice eating more slowly.  As I said, one slurp is good, two is too much. 

I find myself very weepy - sometimes everything just feels so overwhelming.  If there's nothing on the menu that I can have, I get a little panicked when I have to find a compromise, and luckily the onion soup was there.  It might not have been the best choice, but it was my only choice.  I find that I get a little further each day - I was able to have almost a whole Carnation Anytime when we got home, but it took me almost an hour, and then I just gave up.

I think that's all I've got for tonight - I didn't get to nap at all today, and while I feel pumped right now, I know I'm heading for a crash.  So it's off the my quiet place for some liquids, a little tv, and hopefully a sleep in my own bed.  I'm not comfortable lying flat or on either side, so I've got to prop myself up, and that means a sore tailbone in the morning.  Anyway, goodnight all. Thanks again for all your support.  I hope I can be as supportive to others as well.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

sam1am
on 7/27/11 11:38 am
 Welcome home and welcome to the bench, Megan!  I'm so glad that you had a great experience!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JJ_
on 7/27/11 11:44 am
Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for giving us details of your time in Hamilton, etc.  So glad to hear that you are safely home again.  All the best in the coming days as you progress in your healing.

hugs,

Judy
laura S.
on 7/27/11 11:44 am - London, Canada
Welcome home Megan!  Sounds like your doctor is a keeper!  You seem like you are doing great too :)

All the best,

Laura

tasha_the_dog
on 7/27/11 12:00 pm - Thunder Bay, , Canada
Thanks for being so candid about your experience. Wonderful information for us newbies for what to expect.  A couple of questions for you if you don't mind.How did you get to Hamilton from the airport?
Did the hotel give you a medical rate? Is that hotel (Crowne Plaza) near the hospital for easy access for spouses?

Thanks for answering and hope your recovery goes well.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Megan M.
on 7/27/11 10:34 pm - Canada
Hi Tasha.  We rented a car at Toronto airport for 8 days.  It was cheaper to do that than to make our way to Hamilton, rent for a few days (we had all day Wed and Thurs to be tourists) on both ends - wouldn't need the car while we were in hospital - Enterprise rate for the 8 days was just over $500.  Renting for 2 days was over $200.  The Crowne Plaza hospital rate was $99, plus $8 for the car.  My husband was able to walk to and from the hospital - took him less than 15 minutes.  I don't know what other hotels are in the area, so I can't give you any other suggestions.  I know that Susan at the bariatric unit has a list of accommodations, but I don't know how they rate in comparison.

Originally we thought about getting to Hamilton at a cost of around $150-200 for a shuttle, then there'd be the return cost.  (The GOtrain stops within a few blocks of the hotel, but while cheaper, it wasn't worth the trouble to us, and the cost would still be over $100 for us.  Then we were going to rent a car for 2 days before, and a day or 2 after I got out of the hospital.  When you add that all up, it was more expensive than just renting a car and paying for the parking at the hotel - that worked better for us.

Best of luck on your journey, and please ask any questions you like.  I'll help the best I can.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Robin H.
on 7/27/11 11:15 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
i was wondering the same things.  I looked into the go train from Toronto Island Airport to Hamilton I was quoted $11.00 one way and thinking I would fly in using Porter.  Who filled out your Northern Travell forms when you were there? My understanding is the Dr has to fill them out but I am not sure as I have never had to travel for medical purposes befor.

Geri T.
on 7/27/11 12:42 pm - Blenheim, Canada
Hi Megan

Glad you are on the bench.

I am in Thunder Bay right now for the HOG rally....it sure would be nice to meet you in person....let me know and I can make a quick visit to meet you

Geri

PS  my email is [email protected] or my cell is 519-359-6923...just call to text me.

bogie
on 7/27/11 12:59 pm - Canada
Welcome home Megan and thanks for your thorough update. I will have my surgery in Hamilton with Dr. Hong Aug 29th. I'm sure by then you will be a pro at this. I will forward to your progress posts.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

Megan M.
on 7/27/11 10:36 pm - Canada
I saw Dr. Hong in the nursing station on one of my walks around the "racetrack" in the hallway!  And my surgeon teleconference was with him - he seemed very nice.  These guys are all so young and handsome!  Sigh!!

Most Active
Recent Topics