OHIP, Dr. Dent for DS and Dr. Gagner phone number

jmckel1
on 8/5/11 12:55 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Hi,

I am hoping to convert from a lap-band to DS with Dr. Gagner. I have an appointment with Dr. Dent next week, presumably to discuss OHIP coverage (since the appointment was triggered by my family doctor referring me for weight loss surgery), though the receptionist says it is a "follow-up" appointment since I went through the Ottawa Hospital's weight management clinic in 2005.

Anyway, is there a way to present my case to Dr. Dent that is more likely to result in approval for a DS?

Also, does anyone know Dr. Gagner's current phone number? I called the number listed on his profile on this site and the voice mail message didn't sound like him so I didn't leave a message. I sent him an e-mail and got an out-of-office reply saying he is in Europe at the moment and won't be bac****il August 22. I want to see if there is anyone in the office who can receive a FedEx while he is away (does he even have an office?).

Thanks,

Julie
Diminishing Dawn
on 8/5/11 2:03 am - Windsor, Canada
Um... Dr. Dent has been a big force against the DS in the past few years.  Maybe he's changed but he really seemed to think the mortality rate was high - even though studies seemed to show other wise.  I remember Ruth's fight for DS.   She ended up self paying.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/3835617/Well-had-my-phone-call -with-the-Appeal-Board-re-DS-Denial/

We've had numerous people have to go to battle with law suits even to try and get the DS and Dent's testimony pretty much was against them and he seemed to have alot of weight in this regard.

Is your bmi over 60? That seems to be the only criteria these days that seems to be used in favour of the DS.  Dr. Hong in Hamilton will sometimes perform them if your bmi is high enough.  
Do you have any special conditions?  

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  it will be interesting to see if Dent has become any more open minded.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 8/5/11 2:05 am - Mississauga, Canada
Agree on all points.

To the original poster:  I would see about getting a referral to talk with Dr. Hong in Hamilton and I would also look up "Jennifer D.", a member of this forum.  She is havingi her DS covered by OHIP with Dr. Gagner.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jennifer D.
on 8/5/11 2:40 am
Hi Julie
Actually, it looks as though the surgeons of the bariatric program have seem to come around a bit and have referred several people for revision with Dr. Gagner, covered by OHIP and Dr. Dent is one of them. You may be OK especially since you already went through Dr. Dent's program (may save you a lot of time).

Dr. Gagner has an assistant, you may want to email her first - [email protected] . You can send a fedEx to Clinique Dr. Gagner M.D. inc. 315 Place d'Youville, suite 191, Montreal, QC, H2Y 0A4 (I think that could be where he actually lives). or to Rockland Clinic (He works from here with other surgeons, someone will be there to sign for it) 100 Chemin Rockland, suite 100, Ville Mont Royal, QC, H3P 2V9 . The phone number for Rockland is 514-331-4322.

Great to know that he'll be out of town until the 22nd as I was told my surgery would possibly be the week of the 14th. Guess I can continue with my life now :  /
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
jmckel1
on 8/15/11 4:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Jennifer,

Dr. Dent was very kind, but said that with my BMI (36), there is no way OHIP would agree to cover DS or RNY. He encouraged me to try to get my lap-band working again. He agreed that Dr. Gagner is an excellent surgeon, but said that he would not under any cir****tances recommend me for the DS. When I asked why not, and what  the complications might be for someone with my BMI if I were to go ahead with it, he said I could very well end up being 80 lbs and looking like a concentration camp victim. He also said the mortality rate for the DS compared to the RNY is 4x greater, and that after 30 days, it is 27% higher. I'm still going ahead with my consultation with Dr. Gagner, but now I don't know what to think.

Hope you get your surgery date soon!

Julie
happydsr
on 8/15/11 2:40 pm
Cylent1
on 8/6/11 5:20 am
Dr Ungson in Mexico is one of the best (and only) DS surgeon in Mexico...a few of us from GTA have had him as our surgeon
Most Active
Recent Topics