complications?

Linda G.
on 8/21/11 12:04 pm - Canada
I'm new to the forum and have been doing a lot of reading.  I haven't had orientation yet but will be scheduled for that within the next month.   In reviewing the recent posts, I wondering if anyone has the wls surgery without complications or 'issues'.  I realize the 'vets' now have everything worked out and they sound great and very helpful, but the recent surgeries all seem to had problems.  Thanks
Linda G
Heidi S.
on 8/21/11 12:09 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Good post Linda, I have noticed the samething and getting nervous. I chickened out 3 years ago and I really don't want to chicken out again. I need some possitive information. I have orientation Sept 6th at TWH.

Good lucj to you
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Linda G.
on 8/21/11 12:16 pm - Canada

Thanks Heidi.  You must have been referred in June.  I called the clinic and they told me the June referrals were going through orientation in Sept.  I was referred in July so I'm expecting to go in October, also to TWH.  My doc is at St. Mike's, Dr. Grantcharov.  I'm also getting nervous about the complications and the food details.  How will I retain all those food restrictions, measurements and do's and don'ts. 
Linda

Heidi S.
on 8/21/11 12:25 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Do lots of research and keep lots of notes. Yes I was referred in June. I was suppose to go this past week but I didn't get the letter until the day I was suppose to be there. Living in the Sault I couldn't make it. They were great with me having to reschedule

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 12:09 pm - Canada
I had surgery July 27th and had no complications AND my liver was still very fatty when they did the surgery so I'm surprised there were no complications.

Any issues I've had post surgery are my own fault - eating too much or too quickly.

Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better experience.
ericaFG
on 8/21/11 12:14 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Our group (the CCC) has many members who have had surgery in Guelph, Toronto, Hamilton, the US...and I don't think we've ever had anyone in our group have major complications (knock on wood).  When you're coming down to the wire - it seems like all you read about are complications.  Just like when you're pregnant, it seems like you see pregnant woman and woman with small babies everywhere you go.  It's just perspective.

There is a risk to surgery - there is also a risk to being morbidly obese.  Do your best to get healthy pre-surgery...don't cheat on your optifast...up your exercise before surgery so that your cardiovascular system is a healthy as possible.  And trust your dr. to get you to the other side!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

KristieA
on 8/21/11 12:20 pm - Orillia, Canada
I would say the majority of people have few to no complications. It may seem like there are a lot when reading the board as people are seeking advice or giving updates on people who need extra support. No surgery is without risk. 99% of the people I have met or spoken with (complications included) say it is the best decision they ever made.

Fear and anxiety is normal. The surgeons and support people in the programs are phenominal.

Best of luck on your journey,

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

trudylam
on 8/21/11 12:22 pm - Sudbury, Canada
I had my surgery 12 weeks ago and I haven't had any issues.  No dumping ( I haven't eaten anything that should make me dump), no food issues...nothing.  I did have an infected incision but polysporin took care of it and I was good.  I think you'll find that you often hear the bad news on the internet because more people come online to warn others of their own issues and you rarely hear about the good ones.  Best of luck to you. :)
sam1am
on 8/21/11 12:35 pm
Unfortunately there seems to be quite a few lately, more so than usual.  Keep in mind that obesity is very dangerous and can lead to many complications as well.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

StevesGal
on 8/21/11 12:38 pm - Hamilton, Canada

I had my surgery 7 weeks ago, and aside from one incident of vomiting (caused by not chewing thoroughly - my own fault) and one of diarrhea (again, my own fault), I haven't had any issues.

Like another poster has said, you'll only hear the 'bad news' because people are looking for input.  People with no issues tend to get on with it and move on.

Good luck.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics