Requisitions for blood work - post op?

jmckel1
on 12/14/11 7:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi, for those of you who have their blood work done every 3-6 months post-operatively, did you ask the surgeon for a stack of requistions or can you "requisition" the test yourself?

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:01 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Only a physican can order blood work so you need one from him/her.  They are usually only good for x number of months so I always just went to see mine and get it when I needed it done.
Monica M.
on 12/14/11 8:05 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
my dietitian always fills out the reqs at my follow up appointments

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:07 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Probably rubber stamped with the doc's signature no doubt.  LOL  My doctor's office, the secretary is constantly rubber stamping his name on stuff.
Monica M.
on 12/14/11 8:09 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh likely. lol

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:45 am
Since you are having surgery with Dr. Gagner you will need an Ontario doctor to order your blood work.  Who will be following you post-op?  Your family doctor can order your blood work for you.

I will be having my follow-up care with the Ottawa Clinic as well as my family doctor.
PatXYZ
on 12/14/11 9:06 am
The recommended tests for DSers are much more extensive than what is typical for a 'check-up', even at the bariatric centres where they are used to follow-up for RNY and VSG. Are you going to be doing follow-up at one of the bariatric centres? Have you spoken to the dietician about how your supplement and nutritional needs are very different than a RNYer? You can get a complete list on the DS board here, it's posted frequently. If I can find a link tonight, I'll post it for you. Just bring the list to your GP and he can order all the tests you need.

I highly recommend you get information on the DS board about the Vitalady supplement regimen for DSers and how a DSers diet is different as you are unlikely to get adequate info from Dr. Gagner or from the bariatric centre. There are also dieticians on the DS board who freely offer their advice on labs if you post yours. It's a great resource.
PatXYZ
on 12/14/11 9:16 am
Labs:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU46vLsRDC9rZGhranhtcXpfOGNxcDk2c2c0&hl=en

Recommended Supplements:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4103619/VitaLadys-Jan-2010-DS-Plan-amp-Shopping-List-OH-Formatting/

Here is a general post with lots of more links and useful information for people having the DS:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice-for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/
Mary A.
on 12/15/11 12:38 am
Hi Toni,

At my one month follow up I asked the nutritionist & nurse I saw to provide me with a list of what will need to be included in any future bloodwork.  They gave me a "blank" requisition form with everything that I needed marked off - I can keep this and take it to my primary care physician when I need bloodwork done so he has something to refer to.
ashleighsmom
on 12/15/11 3:14 am
My US surgeon wrote an initial req and I took it to my family Doc who kept it on file and uses ours to order labs
Jan              2.8 pounds below goal  
Most Active
Recent Topics